Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2 hub problem

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
About 12 months ago i installed a USB2 hub with 4 connectors. I attached a external HD and everything seemed fine, then i started getting Windows does not recognise a USB device that has been fitted etc, but this was sporadic.

Eventually i gave up and unattached the HD, i still used the Hub to attache my Printer etc and it worked fine, also nothing untoward showed up in Device Manager to indicate a problem with it.

When i bought a MP3 player which was charged via USB i attached it to the normal USB1 port at the front of my PC only to get a message stating this would be a lot faster if i attached it to a USB2 port and to click on the icon to see whats available, it then shows me a list of USB ports which i presumed to be the Hub i have.

When attaching it to the USB2 though i get Windows not recognising the USB device messages again.

I have re installed the Drivers in case it has lost those, I have taken out the card and re fitted it, Windows recognises new hardware and says it is installing drivers and that it is now ready to use BUT it still only operates as a USB1 Hub not USB2.

I have been into the Bios to see if something needed enabling but can find nothing.

The funny thing is that in Device Manager and USB ports there is nothing there that says USB2, But on using the Everest software to get an overview of my System it is there as a USB2 Hub.

Any help Guys/Gals greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The USB hub might be USB2, but that does not matter if the port that it is connected to is not. It sounds like you machine does not have USB2 ports.

Most USB hubs can only handle limited power unless there is an external power supply (which I have had issues when I try that, including the machine locking before booting if the USB hub is powered before the machine comes up).

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks for the quick reply Kemasa, i thought of that as well, but as i mentioned the external HD used to work fine and i haven't had to change anything inside my machine, the HD - when connected - had a external power supply.

I wouldn't have minded as much if the Hub had never worked as USB2 at least it would have made matters a little clearer.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Based on your message, I am not sure of what you say you are having a problem with.

The MP3 device might not work since it uses USB power and if there is not enough power, the hub might not work with it attached and perhaps you have a problem with the hub now. I don't see anything where you say that there is a problem with the external disk, other than it says that it would be faster with USB2, which is true, but since it does not seem that you have that. It is just information.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
From initial installation problems to suddenly not working USB, cleaning up the Device Manager in Safe mode is the first step in Win9X troubleshooting. Many hardware related problems in Windows can be traced to ghost and/or duplicate device entries. Obsolete and/or duplicate devices can ONLY be seen and removed from the Device Manager while in Windows Safe Mode. For How To see here...

http://www.usbman.co.....Safe Mode.htm

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Kemasa - " About 12 months ago i installed a USB2 hub with 4 connectors. I attached a external HD and everything seemed fine, then i started getting Windows does not recognise a USB device that has been fitted etc, but this was sporadic "

The problem started with the HD after about 10 months, after booting up i was getting an Windows doesn't recognise unknown USB device type of message, then it would be fine then back to not recognising the HD, I would have put it down to a HD prob if if wasn't for the fact that now everything USB2 enabled that i put into the Hub is only seen as a USB1 port i.e my printer.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Happyrck thanks for that link will try it to see if it works, just need to find a ps2 mouse now