Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

copying a complete drive to another

• Please log in to reply

deefadog

deefadog

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi all, I have just attempted to copy one hard drive to another using Nortons ghost, I Ghosted the drive to an external drive, then put my new drive in as a slave (so i could see all three drives) and then restored the ghost file to the new drive. All went smoothly, apart from the the new drive will not boot - BOOT DISK FAILED!

Did i miss something? or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Deef

Advertisements

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I dont know what you did wrong but I think windows has its own hardrive back up option, but if I were you I would use Nero that will let you copy one hard drive to another and it shouldnt give you any problems

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to ghost to an external drive, just install the new drive, ghost straight to it (boot off the Ghost CD, don't do it from within Windows as it often fails over when you boot it up) and disconnect the old one.

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thansk for the replies, the problem which i just found out is that there is an option when restoring a drive is to set the target drive as a bootable disk! - This option is greyed out and i can't figure out how to chaneg it?

Anyways i have Nero (did not know it did that) will try that later :whistling:

Thanks

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Try setting up your destination HDD on your secondary master instead of as a slave.

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I never really liked Norton Ghost or any disk cloning program. I like a fresh direct format and install of an operating system.

There is a program for windows xp that I do like.. It's called ntbackup.. It lets you custom chose what you want backed up on your system or HD and save to a HD or thumb drive. Then after you format and re-install your operating sytem you just install ntback up and restore all your settings, folders and other stuff you backed up..

I use to back up to a HD .. That took a lot of time.. With ntbackup it's done fast and it does a very good job...

Edited by evilwizard, 28 November 2006 - 10:52 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just used Paragon's Drive Copy 8 to copy this computer's 6.2 gig's from a 20 gig HD to a 160 gig hard drive. I am typing this answer from this computer that i did this to. I have had no problems so far and i do experiment quite a lot with the system. The XP operating system did give me an initial error and went to the boot screen where you had to choose if you wanted safe mode, last known configuration, or normal boot. I choose normal boot and everything is working as it should. For the Price of $30 it's quite cheap to migrate a OS to a larger drive.

If you still want to try using Ghost, heres a good website on it.

http://ghost.radified.com/

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 28 November 2006 - 11:59 AM.

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks, I tried the Nortons ghost drive copy - straight off my booted HD to the Blank one (which i thought was strange since alot of files would be in use and this is not an option from the CD)- failed straight away - Gave me an error - Cannot copy source to destination"E7C30012: there are no more free sectors remaining" - Does not exist on google :whistling:

I'll try the master secondary - see if that helps (it's currently in the primary slave, but set as a master)

I may purchase that software you mention if i can't get this to work!

Thansk for all your help!

** thought this was a simple task :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is 90% of the time but some people are just unlucky. I prefer a fresh OS personally also if you are trying to ghost the drive to a hard drive for use in a different computer unless its idnetical it wont work as the OS will have the wrong drivers.

What i usually do it just partition my drives with an OS partition(about a quarter to a third of most drives) and the rest as data and transfer the whole data partition manually when i need to and just take folder i need from the OS which is often only my browsers folder from the application data to get my bookmarks thats it, that way you keep the data you need but dont carry the gremlins that accumulate in windows with you to the new drive.

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks - i agree, I always thought that creating an image in Ghost (or whatever) was if your existing hard drive "blew up", then you could ghost the whole image to another drive and your back up and running in no time! - From what has been said here, it's best to just keep the data seperate and back that up.

So i guess I would have to reinstall all software, settings etc again then?

So i think from my new 80gig drive, i'll leave 30gig for the operating system? - will that be enough or to much?

Also this is my ide set up - what is the best to arrange this

ide1 - Primary - HDD1 (main hard drive bootable with os) Work Drive on removable rack (jumper master)
Secondary - HDD2 (main hard drive bootable with os) Family Drive Work Drive on removable rack (jumper master)

I puul one rack out in push the other one in depending on the use

ide 2 - Primary - Backup HD (jumper master)
Secondary - DVD Burner (jumper Slave)

And whcih jumper settings should be used?

The bios is an auto detect one btw

Edited by deefadog, 29 November 2006 - 07:02 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you want Drive Copy 8 free

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes please :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check you can register it here first

http://kb.paragon.ag...product_id=1726

If so, download it here

http://www.vnunet.co...e-copy-personal

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks regestration went fine, but the download did not work, it hung ont he download page and when i went to manual download it i got cannot find server page :whistling: is it a small file you could maybe zip to me or put it on a ftp area?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try click here

http://www.vnunet.co...ownload/2166317

If not, I will upload it for you