Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Spam - multiples of the same type

• Please log in to reply

PC Klutz

PC Klutz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been careful to keep my private email address private. Recently I have been bombarded with dozens of emails daily all similar.
Subject lines: Deboroh wrote: or Casey wrote: or Simon wrote: etc with same messages ie

"We have brought you winner after winner this year and things are only
getting better! . . ."

I have never had spam delivered in this way. They must all be originating from the same place. Anybody else get this stuff?

Advertisements

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Spam is a big problem that everyone gets, I wouldnt worry about it I get tons of spam everyday all you need to do is classify them as spam and they will appear in your junk folder, there are many ways people can get your email address without you being aware of it, some stores ask for your email address and they tell you its for customer service but sometimes they give your email to other companies so they can try and sell you there product and such so i wouldnt worry to much about it.

PC Klutz

PC Klutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes it's not really a big problem just burns my butt. I get about 100 on my other mail boxes but I expect it.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
As a former retail manager for 15 years, schooled in Industrial and Organizational psychology, and now attempting website design, I absolutely loved your page:

http://www.32keys.co...ail-ethics.html

You hit the nail on the head, so well...and I enjoyed the quotes on the left, too. So appropriate reading for Black Friday shopping season!

Spam also comes from infected computers that harvest any email addy they can find. Considerate people delete headers from emails before forwarding them, and use the BCC function to hide their friends' addresses. If it's any consolation, I have recently started getting a bunch of the exact same kind of spam, and they all have different links for me to click. I don't work in the malware forum, so I'm not interested in the new infections, but I'd bet those links lead to some. I just delete them. My ISP has a pretty good spam filter ( a quick glance and I can delete them all in a click) and there are some other third party programs you can purchase, but spam is an unavoidable nuisance just like the junk that clogs up our real life mailboxes. I stand at the Post Office where they have thoughtfully provided a big trash can and sort the mail before I go home (we have no mail delivery in our little village) and most of the mail is gone before I leave. You're already using a throwaway account, and that is about the best you can do. Never open spam if you can avoid it- sometimes that lets the company know that your addy is valid. Just delete it. If you do accidentally open it, never be a sucker for the social engineering enticing you to click a link. Ever. Unless you want to line up in the malware forum with a major headache.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Johanna

PC Klutz

PC Klutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Johanna for your comments on spam and for your visit. I can imagine a spam-free internet someday, along with a peaceful world.
Cheers, Ken