Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mic on new headset won't work...

• Please log in to reply

Fritzo

Fritzo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Currently running Windows XP, on-board sound card.

I recently bought a new headset. It's not USB, it's got two separate plugs for the mic and headphones. Previously i'd been using a logitech USB headset, and it was working fine. I know the jacks in the sound card work, because i've been running my speakers through there, and have used a mic with a 1/8" plug before.

Now i plug this new headset in, and the headphones part works, but the mic doesn't. I unplugged the USB microphone, still nothing. I went into control panel > sound stuff and made sure my realtek (sound card) was selected as the device, and still nothing. Even sat through the voice configuration thingy, without a peep. I remember I had to wrestle with XP quite a bit before I could get it to accept voice in from the USB device and output to the normal line out. Now I can't remember what all I changed.

For some reason it's not working with the mic at all, but the headphones work perfectly. What should be my next step?

*EDIT* I plugged the headset into a different computer running windows XP, and it worked perfectly all the way 'round. So i know it's something I gotta screw with in windows XP. Any help? i've already made sure the mic is selected under the recording volume controls. Made sure it's muted in playback. Nothing. :whistling:

Edited by Fritzo, 27 November 2006 - 08:43 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check in the sound software master controls that the microphone section does not have 'mute' enabled.

Edited by pip22, 28 November 2006 - 03:25 AM.

Fritzo

Fritzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I fixed it... I opened my box and looked at the connection (only thing left) it was loose (dry joint) so I re-soldered it. Works perfect now. :whistling: