Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Apps Crashing

• Please log in to reply

guitwiz

guitwiz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I'm getting the following message when I try to do anything related to multimedia: "XXXX encountered a problem and needs to close"..

For instance, when using windows movie maker, if i drag video clips to the timeline, after about the fourth one, program not responding.
Tried to use MedianSoft mpeg joiner/editor, but as soon as I try to do a join or preview my project (only 5 min of clips joined), the app doesn't respond.

Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do? I need to have this project done by tomorrow! Help! Please!

:whistling:

Edited by guitwiz, 28 November 2006 - 06:08 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try editing

guitwiz

guitwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
O.k. thanks for your input.

However, can you please tell me what the problem is specifically and why your solution is definitely going to work before I spend all that time?

Also, I bought my computer (Sony Vaio) with Windows XP already on it so I don't have the CD. I do have a xp home cd that I used for another computer, would that work?
Here's my hardware info:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try editing

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use the Home CD

Basically you are checking system files and removing obsolete / incorrect registry entries, it would take an hour or so, it may need more than that but it's a good start

guitwiz

guitwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok, i did everything on the list. In my system bar on the lower right of my screen it says that my version of windows is no longer up to date and I see that I now have service pack 1 and not service pack 2- so this concerns me.

During this proceedure I also started to get error messages from the windows instant messeging service telling me that my registry had been severely damaged and that I needed to go to winregistryclean.com and other sites. When I did the system tune, I turned the messeging service off so the popups would stop. I have attached a sample of one of many popus dirtecting me to various urls like patch.info etc. that occurred.

Also, when booting with the xp disk, it asked me if i wanted to repair the version of windows on the system or continue installing a fresh copy of windows, and I said repair the version that was there. I was also concerned after that, during the install, when windows through up numerous error messages saying that various .dll and other files could not be found on the disk and I had to tell it to continue installing windows without these files.

Also after all that optimizing my computer takes a lot longer to get past the windows is starting up screen , it seems to lock for a while before windows starts and it never used to do that.

I was able to do some editing in windows movie maker, but can't do my project with that app because there is no way to get a quality movie from it. I am combining mpegs and output my movie as a 'high quality NTSC ' movie or a large movie- but any of the wmv formats come out poor quality.

My mediansoft joiner converter software that I'd really like to use for this project, because it has a free trial and will let me join mpegs with transitions- now NO LONGER WORKS. I even tried uninstalling and downloading again but when I launch the program, NOTHING HAPPENS.

Also, some software that I own, MOVAVI converter doesn't work anymore. I get an error that it can't open some image file.

How can I get median soft app to work - or can you recommend an editor for my purpose?

:whistling: :help: :blink:

You can use the Home CD

Basically you are checking system files and removing obsolete / incorrect registry entries, it would take an hour or so, it may need more than that but it's a good start

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Running sfc /scannw would have replaced the system files, you shouldn't have needed the repair. You can still run the system file check, but click start then run, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter, only put the XP CD in when it asks for it

As you have done a repair, you will need to run Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Once you have done all the updates, which will involve returning to check you have everything, try editing again

See if this will let you create video projects

http://www.majorgeek...1306_d4851.html

Free at the moment

guitwiz

guitwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Windows update won't work.
I get this error: Error number: 0x8007043B

Running sfc /scannw would have replaced the system files, you shouldn't have needed the repair. You can still run the system file check, but click start then run, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter, only put the XP CD in when it asks for it

Once you have done all the updates, which will involve returning to check you have everything, try editing again

Free at the moment

guitwiz

guitwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
The Ashampoo app looks like a program to burn video files to dvd which is not what I need. I need a program to join mpeg files with video transitions to one mpeg file without losing any quality.

:whistling:

Windows update won't work.
I get this error: Error number: 0x8007043B

Free at the moment

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try the trial version of Nero

http://www.filehippo...nero_7_premium/

An alternative is Roxio, though no trial version

http://www.roxio.com/

guitwiz

guitwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
When I woke up this morning I had to do one more update and then had to wait for installation of service pack two. I am back where I started. Windows movie maker and median soft are both crashing as soon as I start to work with mpeg files.

How can I fix this please?

Edited by guitwiz, 29 November 2006 - 10:12 AM.