Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

low virtual memory...

• Please log in to reply

locurafan

locurafan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
not sure what's wrong here. I turned on my computer about 10 minutes ago and it's already low on memory. (not the first time it happens) I've deleted files and checked for viruses but nothing helps :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Need more information:

System Specs, including OS, total RAM installed (right click over My Computer, Properties, General tab).

Also, hard drive size and free space (open My Computer).

Paging File size (right click over My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, Performance button, Advanced tab, bottom of that screen).

What programs do you generally open, or what programs did you have open when you posted?

Do you run antivirus and/or spyware software regularly? Is it updated?

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
to be honest, I don't know too much about computers lol...hopefully I'll get the correct information that you're requesting.

Windows XP
128MB of RAM
service pack 2

capacity: 15.4GB
used space: 9.92GB
free space: 5.52GB

Paging File Size: 190MB

The programs I had running at the time were firefox, MSN Messenger Live, and photoshop. They're usually the programs I run.

I currently have AVG anti-virus, regularly updated.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Windows XP Professional requires 128MB memory. I don't know if yours is Home or Pro. Add to that the minimum required to run each of the programs you had open, you can see how you ran of out of physical memory and went into virtual memory.

I'm attaching an old article from PC Magazine called Understanding Memory. It's very helpful.

I'd suggest purchasing more memory.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Windows XP(any version)on less than 256MB of memory? You are asking for a slow computer. My computer sits here with only Firefox open using 275 MB of memory. Every computer i build i install a minimum of 512 MB of memory, no matter what. My personal computers all run 1 gig of memory. Do yourself a favor and buy your self some memory thats on-sale now at most of the major stores and make your life a lot easier. To help with your problem you can increase the page file slightly to 200 or so MB.

http://www.informit....a...=25448&rl=1

SRX660

locurafan

locurafan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I knew absolutely nothing about the memory :blink: definately learned something from this thread :help: I think changing the page file size did the trick (at least for now). Now I know what to ask for for X-mas :whistling:
thanks for the help you guys!

Edited by locurafan, 30 November 2006 - 12:19 AM.