Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive working, but not burning

• Please log in to reply

fairdinato

fairdinato

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
When I put in a blank DVD into the CD drive to burn a couple of lost episodes to DVD... everything loads up fine and it asks me what action I want to peform.. When I select that I want to open up windows explorer so I can copy the files onto the disk, I get this message;

Posted Image

I usually don't have any problems just copying files into the dvd and then burning the files. However this time nothing works, even simple image files. Any ideas what I can do? I also don't have any buring software that I can check, but the fact that it recognises it shows that there isn't a problem with the actual hardware, just windows maybe?

I'm on windows XP.

Cheers

John

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if they are .iso files then burncdcc..a free iso burner will work....it only works on .iso files

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

Edited by happyrck, 28 November 2006 - 02:31 PM.

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Unfortunately they are Mpegs, cheers for the link though :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then try here....they have a free trial

http://www.mp3towav....-to-DVD-Burner/

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks again, but I just literally want to put them onto CD so I can give them to a friend for her laptop, not even in dvd format!

Cheers

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have nero or some other burning program...

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Unfortunately I don't. I had it before but it caused my cd drive (hardware) to just completely mess up! Might give it another try though, thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
A software burning program won't cause your drive to screw up...it can refuse to burn things though...

if you are using Incd to burn then thats where your problems lies...try uninstalling it and reinstalling it..I don't recommend Incd though...to many problems...I like Nero myself

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thing is, all I want to do is burn data to a DVD.. Fancied putting all my mp3s on CD too but seems I get the same error message.. Might try and look for a software burning program though as you suggest

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you buy a new CD/DVD burner....you can get both Nero and Power dvd software with the drive...for about $40.00 check at Newegg or Zipzoomfly...can't beat it ...FAST drive and software for less than the software...just be sure when you are looking to see what comes bundled with the drive... :whistling:

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK cool cheers, but as the burner is on my laptop I don't have much choice! Any "free" CD burning software? As NTI CD Burner has never worked!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to try DeepBurner the free one is at the bottom of the page...

http://www.deepburner.com/

I haven't had any personal experience with this but I have heard it works ok...let me know how you like it so that if someone else needs a free burning program they too can use it