Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Native CD Burning Not Working

• Please log in to reply

lyndros

lyndros

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Any advice on this matter would be gratefully received.

I have a Dell Dimension 5150, which I purchased in June. It has Windows XP Media Centre Edition installed, Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I have a CD/DVD ROM Drive (Drive D) and a CD/DVD RW Drive (Drive E). Also pre-installed on the computer is "Roxio Creator LE - Dell Edition."

Up until recently, I had no problems using Windows' own native burning capabilities, in wrting to a CD-RW disc (I haven't used a DVD RW yet). However, about two weeks ago I found that I could no longer write to (although I could read from) a CD-RW disc. When I put a CD RW disc into Drive E, no window would pop up, and I would have to go to Explorer to start the writing process. It would only go so far, up to the point where it asked me to put into the drive a CD-RW disc (even though there was one already in) and then it would go no further. Instead, it would keep asking me to put a CD-RW disc into the drive. I checked Device Manager, and it stated that the device was working properly and was enabled. However, it recognised the drive only as a CD/DVD ROM Drive. If I right clicked on the drive in My Computer, and went into the drive 'Properties', I would find:

(a) under the 'General' Tab, a reference to it being a CD Drive,
( under 'Auto Play' the box was checked for 'Prompt me each time to chose an action'
© under 'Hardware' it was stated to be a CD/DVD ROM Drive
(d) under 'DLA' it had the name of the Drive and DLA was not enabled (and never has been as far as I am aware)
(e) there was a Recording Tab with 'enable CD Recording on this Drive' checked .

Dell helped me to do a diagnostic self test, but no errors were found. They replaced the Phillips drive with an Optiarc DVD+RW ND-3570A but still the problem persists. I can burn to a disc in Drive E with Roxio without any problems, but I can't burn using the native Windows capability. The Dell Engineer said that it was an undetermined Registry problem, and that I should re-install Windows XP, which so far I have refused to do.

I uninstalled and reinstalled (after re-boot) the Optiarc drive through Device Manage, but still no luck. Then I checked the Registry Values of the "CD Burning Drive" in the Registry. and these are now set to '2' for the CD/DVD RW Drive (Drive E) and '3' for the CD/DVD ROM Drive (Drive D). The problem still persists.

I am told that I can clean the upper and lower filters in the Registry (whatever they are) to try and resolve the problem, but this may mean that I would have to re-install Roxio. I don't want to adopt this procedure, as Roxio was preinstalled, and I have no installation disc.

I should also say that my auto run for the CD/DVD ROM Drive (Drive D) has also stopped working, and I have to manually run a disc through Explorer now.

HELP!!!

Lyndros

Advertisements