Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it my Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Mecha124

Mecha124

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all thank you in advance for any and all help you might be giving me. I have an older Emachines W1640 with and Amd Athalon ax 1600 processor. I have a cat and a dog so occasionally i have to open the case and vac out all of the pet hair. I have done this many times without trouble unil the last time. During the last hair removal i also took out the cpu fan and heatsink, which i have also done in the past without trouble. Only this time when i rehooked everything and turned the computer back on, nothing happened. The monitor say's check all connections. The fans are all running and i can hear the hard driving making noise and i can also open and close the cd tray, but windows nevers boots up and nothing ever appears on the screen. Please help. I would like to get the system workng for my son. I am confident in the fact that i can replace whatever i need, i just need a little help determining what it might be. I have tried a different video card, that did not work, and the monitor works with another computer so i know it is not that. Thanks again i hope i gave enough info let me know if you need more.

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Take the cpu heatsink/fan off again and make sure it is sitting properly on your processor. If the processor isn't sitting right it won't boot up at all. Replace the heatsink back into place and make sure the clips are in place properly on either side. Are all fans spinning? If they are, but they don't cut out within several seconds, switch the power off to avoid possible damage to other parts of the system. Make sure all connections, including power cables are in place. If still no change, I'd take a guess and say there's a power supply problem, although there are many possible reasons why it won't boot.

Mecha124

Mecha124

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have reseated it numerouse time and still the same result, the fans do not turn off within a few seconds and i have to hold in the power button to get it to power off...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Have you replaced anything in it at all? Try disconnecting the power, ie pull the power cable out the power supply while the system if 'off' and pull the battery out the motherboard, erasing the CMOS then replace it after about 30 seconds. Hook the power cable back up and push the switch, then see what happens. Make sure you are static-free before hand. Touching a base metal will do this, usually a radiator works.
Another idea would be to make sure the case speaker cable is actually plugged in so you know whether or not the case fan is actually working. Push the clips of the RAM outwards and pull all your ram sticks out then try rebooting, you should hear it beep then, this will ensure the case speaker works.

Edited by burnoutnotfadeaway, 28 November 2006 - 03:38 PM.