Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Access Server Behind Router via VPN?

• Please log in to reply

tiek101

tiek101

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am trying to access one computer on my network (server 2003, users granted access) via a VPN. My network is behind a D-Link 624 Router connected to my DSL modem. I have a static IP address from my ISP and set the router to assign a static IP to all computers on my network. What IP address do I enter when trying to access remotely? The IP address of the computer I want to access is a private IP. ...192.168.0.105 I was able to sign on when using my static IP but I could only see the DI-624. ...any suggestions? btw. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not an I.T. guy. :whistling:

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Your router needs to be configured with port forwarding.

Port forwarding tells the incoming connection what to do with a specific protocol and how to direct it.

In this case your port forwarding whatever port the VPN is configured for to the same port and IP 192.168.0.105.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you'll need to enable port forwarding on your router to forward specific requests from the public ip (the static ip from y our isp) to the private ip (the ip of your server)...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what the notch said

tiek101

tiek101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I think I have set up port fowarding already. Click img. If it is correct, do I enter the local IP or the IP from my ISP?

Posted Image

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Looks right best I can tell from here...

What you should do now is access it with your ISP IP and port number:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3389

tiek101

tiek101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
...when I try to connect I get and error 800 message. I suppose either my port forwarding is incorrect or the port #. This seems like it should be a simple thing to do.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Do you have terminal services activated and set-up on the server?

I am assuming you are trying to access via remote desktop?

you might look at this link:

http://www.informit....a...174352&rl=1

Edited by thenotch, 28 November 2006 - 04:29 PM.

tiek101

tiek101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have terminal services on and set up and can connect via remote desktop, however I'm still unable to create a VPN and connect that way.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
how are you actually initiating the VPN connection? as you can't just fire up RDP and hope that it works...you've got to be connected to the VPN first

tiek101

tiek101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I used the "add a new connection" wizard in XP on the computer I want to use to connect and selected VPN. I hope I understood your question correctly. Also, when I do ipconfig/all on the computer I want to connect to, it shows two IP address. I have my router set to assign the same IP addy to it, (192.168.0.105) but the other IP seems to change. Here's what it looks like:

PPP Adapter RAS Server <Dial In> Interface:
Connection Specific DNS Suffix: (blank)
IP Address: 192.168.0.113 <---------THIS ONE CHANGES
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: (blank)

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection Specific DNS Suffix: (blank)
IP Address: 192.168.0.105
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

tiek101

tiek101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Still no luck. ...anyone have anymore advice. Perhaps a "Server 2003 for Dummies" book is in order?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i think you may have gone the wrong way on your vpn setup...but...well...i'm not 100% sure...cuz i don't use the windows vpn

on the computer you're using to connect to the other computer...run the vpn setup wizard doodad...and put the public ip of the other system in as the host ip address

on the host computer right click on my network places and choose properties does that ppp adapter show up as a connection? if so right click on it and choose properties..then choose tcp/ip and choose properties...we're going to want to try to assign a static ip to that connection... make it similar to the other connection (the 105 one) but use a unique number for the last 3 digits....set the default gateway to the ip of your router...

then you may need to reconfigure your port forwarding to point the vpn traffic to this ip address instead of the 105 one