Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup Disk

• Please log in to reply

seafood06

seafood06

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Compaq Presario. I need to find out how to make a backup disk for my computter. Could someone, please tell me how to do this.

Thanks,

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you want a boot disk or a system restore?

What is the OS?

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Do you want a boot disk or a system restore?
I don't know-whats best?

It has Windows XP

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have your original Windows CD?

A boot disk just allows you to boot with limited utilities in the event of a system problem. What you need is a way to reinstall Windows then recover your system.

1. Do a full backup (files and system state). The image I created for my computer using Windows Backup was too large for a CD, so you may need to get an external hard drive if that's the route you go.

Do you have a backup software?

*** Other options/opinions for backup software, please

2. Then you need your Windows CD to reinstall the OS.

3. Once you can boot back into Windows, you restore your backup file.

In theory, your system should be back.

I've never done this using Windows backup, but I have using Veritas Backup Exec.

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Do you have a backup software? Yes, i do.

What do i do now?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Take a backup of your system. Be sure you refer to your backup software's user manual or help files to be sure you create the backup properly. It's vital that you backup not only the files, but also the system state, in order to restore the system later.

Are you in need of restoring your computer at this point or are you just getting prepared in case you have problems?

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Are you in need of restoring your computer at this point or are you just getting prepared in case you have problems?
In case i have problems. i have a small internet business, and i don't want to lose any files.

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I though all i had to do was get a disk or something and go from their.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Unfortunately, no. Your Windows CD will only reinstall the operating system. All your files, programs, settings, etc., are lost when you reinstall Windows from a crash situation. You must backup your system regularly with a reliable backup software. You also need to know how to restore your backup file, otherwise, it won't do you any good.

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How do you do a full backup (files and system state)?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You said you have backup software. You'll need to check the user guide or help files for the specifics. What software is it?

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
What software is it? Compaq System and Application Recovery Windows XP

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is that the software that's installed on your computer or the name of a CD you got with your computer?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm fairly certain that is the OS and application recovery CD from Compaq. That is NOT backup software. That CD will reinstall Windows and any software that came with the computer.

You can use Windows NT Backup to take a backup of your system. I can't vouch for how reliable it is because I've never used it to backup and restore a system. However, it is located at Start, All Program Files, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. The backup file that will be created ends in .bkf.

Does anyone have any experience with Windows NT Backup?

seafood06

seafood06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is that the software that's installed on your computer or the name of a CD you got with your computer?
The name of the cd that came with the computer.