Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Resurrection

• Please log in to reply

Midian

Midian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everybody, i'm needing some help . A couple of years ago i decided to put a 1 ghz cpu into my Laptop. Back then i was new to computers and thought, 'i can just throw this 1 ghz cpu in, replacing my 500mhz'. well, Turns out, the board is only compatible with up to 650 mhz. i tried putting the old cpu back in, but now when it starts up, nothing happens. I have both cpus still and i just want this old thing to work! i had a chat with 3 of HP's online technicians and wow.. learned nothing... they recommended that i take the RTC battery out for 30 seconds.. and umm, thats it. Oh and they also told me the 1 ghz cpu isnt compatible even though thats what i told THEM. anyway im sure the people here can help me a little more than the idiots telling me what i already know. I can get it to turn on, attempt to read a disk in the cdrom, but still nothing on the monitor. i plugged it into my lcd monitor, but still, nothing, so its nothing to do with the video.

Heres what ive tried-
-Taking the RTC battery out
-holding the power button 'on' with nothing plugged in (total Discharge)
-reinstalling the 500mhz CPU 3 times
and thats about all i could come up with, any other suggestions?. Any help greatly appreciated guys!
-Midian

Here are the specs-
Compaq Presario 1600 XL 145
8mb Vid
20gb HD
320mb Ram
Laugh it up, i know... its old.

Advertisements

kewal2913d`

kewal2913d`

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
LOL!!!!
uhmmm ok thats funny, srry
DO u have acces to another computeR?
If you do
check the back of the laptop and identify ur model
Go to the manufacturere site and search for the model and download a bios update, chipset update, video update and any other updates you may think are important.

Th most important one however is the bios.
Try to get a bios update that updates via the floppy drive
do the processiing required and insert the floppy drive in the lappy and boot it up.
it should do it's thing

If the website doesnt have it, then try google.
if you are lucky, you'll get it.
Then you should just get a new lappy.
www.ibuypower.com is an excellent site.