Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 6 and SPAM

• Please log in to reply

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I'm getting flooded with the dreaded "INVESOTR ALERT!" image spam and was hoping that someone new of a way to block it. I'm using OE 6 because I like it better than Outlook 2003 that I calso have installed. Has anyone been able to accomplish this?

Advertisements

kws_divine

kws_divine

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
What kind of Firewall/Anti-Virus do you have? Usually they have something that will block the spam, but Im not sure if its for emails. If you dont have one I really recommend getting one.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You could also install a dedicated spam filter programs or install something like Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express for getting e-mails. I started using Thunderbird for this reason, it has a spam filler built in.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
MCAFEE, which works well for other types of spam, just not this particular variety. It's a multipart HTML message containing a bunch of random words, so it defeats Bayesian filters. The actual advertisement is in the form of an attached image, which begins with the following text:

***ATTENTION ALL DAY TRADERS AND INVESTORS***

INVESOTR ALERT!
IT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER RUN FOR SWNM!
WATCH SWNM LIKE A HAWK ON Tuesday August 1, 2006

Since it's impossible for a spam filter to actually parse the image, this message is especially hard to block.