Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Start Computer

• Please log in to reply

treike

treike

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Purchased computer in 2000. Stopped using when purchased new computer 2004. Tried to start it up after not using for several months. No power. Heard popping noise and some metal pieces came out of power supply. Replace power supply. Still does not work. No power, although, mouse lights up when plugged in to back of computer.

Ideas? trouble shooting procedures?

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
It sound like a capacitor(or 2 or 3 ...) blew up.

Do a visual inspection first. Look on the mother board for bulging or burnt components. Look for debris. The 'pieces out of the power supply' may have actually come from the mother board.

treike

treike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Agree likely a capacitor, however, still think it was in the power supply. Inspected computer. Carefully inspected mother board. Other than lots of dust everything appears to be intact.

Any further suggestions are very much appreciated.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Do the drives light up?

Any fans spin or try to start for even a second?

If not trouble shoot the case switch by tracing the wirers back to mobo, remove them and touch the 2 pins that the wirers connected too with a screw driver. This has the same effect as pushing the power button.

Are you sure the psu you have put in as a replacement is good?

Rick

treike

treike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No drives light up. The mouse doesn't light up anymore either? No fans try to spin or start up. Case switch wires include three sets of two and connect at three different locations. Which 2 pins do I toch.

How can I know if the psu is any good. I am beginning to suspect that the psu may not be any good. I initially purchased the system at PC Club and purchased the "new" power supply "as is" for $10. It would seem I may have got what I paid for?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Look at the case wiere close they usually say on the connecter at the end what they are, rst (for reset),spk (for speaker), ect. You are looking for pwr-on

Please read this thread I hope it will answer your questions about the psu.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry messed the link up try this one

treike

treike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
To test the psu do I have to remove it from the computer case or can I just unplug the connections?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You don't have to remove it but make sure everything is unpluged

treike

treike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
able to start computer, thanks. formated new hardrive but unable to load windows 98 due to inability to identify cd rom drive

Advertisements

treike

treike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
when able to read drive unable to read disc
or on boot up indicates missing operating system

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
There is an excellent win98 install reference on this site at:
http://www.geekstogo...s_98-t9803.html

For best results, read through the entire guide before donig the installation. Some steps may vary slightly(screen shots for 2 & 10, for example). But for the most part, the installation will proceed as shown.

If you run into problems, post the step and report the 'error' message.

treike

treike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I think I properly formatted the hard disk. However, if I attempt to start as indicated on the site it just indicates, "missing operating system".

Further at the point I would start setup the choices are not the same.

When I attempt to startup with the help of CD ROM it just idicates that it is unable to find a CD Rom drive and otherwise indicates invalid command or Abort, Retry, Fail.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
try format again.

format C:/s

the /s makes the hard drive bootable

question - when formatting, are you using a win98 boot disk or the cd?

treike

treike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the boot disk I made from a prior installation. the computer will not recognize the cd drive.

someone suggested i open up the case and connect the cd drive directly to the mother board. there are two cd drives and i am not sure how they are configured. it was thought that if the cd is a slave off the hard drive this may be causing my problem.