Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection drops and sometimes disappears

• Please log in to reply

Davidpm

Davidpm

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have been having consistent problems with my network connection for the past 6 months. Every few minutes or so, the internet connection will drop momentarily and then reestablish itself. It doesn't have to renew the IP address and all because it's so quick. After a while, the entire network will simply disappear from my wireless list and I'll have to go and reset it for the connection to reappear. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a Motorolla SBV5120 Cable Modem. All computers have Windows XP SP2. I've tried updating the firmware on the router, changing the frequency of transmission in case of a conflict, and switching out the router for a netgear one. (the problem remained after this switch). I currently have 2 wireless and 2 hardwired computers using the router and all have the same problem with the lag and constant drops.

What could be causing this?

Thanks!

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello DavidPM and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

Your cable modem has a SEND, RECIEVE, and ONLINE light.... When your network goes down.... what Lights are solid... What Lights are flashing.... and what lights are blank.

On Your router.... do you have WPA TKIP enabled as your wireless encryption or WEP? When the network goes down What Lights are Solid, Flashing and Blank ?

Make sure to read the tiny labels under the lights, when you post back thier status', so we dont get confused.

Thanks.