Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

RAM compatibility

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
have a pentium 3 processor with 256 mb pc133 ram in it with 4 modules on the ram..what is the difference with the 256mb ram pc133 or 128mb pc133 that has 8 modules on it? are they still compatible? will they still work together? i just looking to bring my system up to 512mb..if any1 could help that be great thanks

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Generally speaking, the actual number of chips on a module often isn't that important. There are a couple of exceptions - mainly when a module has an odd number of chips (e.g 9) or is described as having 32M x 72 chip configuration. (The important bit here is the 72, not the 32M). This means that the module is ECC or parity ram. Some motherboards will support both types, others only one type but the important thing is not to mix the 2 types together.

I would recommend you visit Crucials website & use their system scanner :

If the scanner fails to detect your system correctly, then you can manually select your motherboard/system information. Crucial will then give you a list of memory modules that are compatible with your system. You don't have to buy the memory from them but at least you'll know what to look for if you buy it elsewhere