Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could the power supply be the problem

• Please log in to reply

majackson

majackson

• Pip
  • 9 posts
About a month ago my self built computer quit booting up. The system components were all new as follows
Sonata II 450W case, AMD X2 +4200 CPU, 2 GB Cosair RAM, eVGA PCIe video card, two western digital HDs, sony DVD burner. The system ran fine for about 7 months then one day suddenly the program running began to behave erratically then the mouse froze. I shutdown the computer and attempted to reboot. The system would not reboot. The power LED faintly flickered but the system would not boot. The fans did not even kickon. There was no sign of life other than a slight flicker from the power LED on the front. I took the system to a shop to have the power supply checked. They checked the 20 pin connector and said it was fine. They did not check the 4 pin power connector.

I shipped the board back to MSI for repair. They said a component that they could not or would not identfy was faulty and it had been repaired. I could not visually detect that anything had been done to the board. I confirmed that it was the same serial number I had sent back. Upon reassembling the system I got to first boot (I had installed CPU, Cooler, RAM, Video card and front panel connections)for setting BIOS paramenters and again I got nothing but a faint flicker of the power LED on the front.

What are the chances that something connected with the 4 pin connector from the power supply is the problem? Is it normal not to be able to detect repaires done on a mobo? I have been throughly unimpressed with MSI service/support to date. I'm not inclined to give them a second chance to repair this mobo...especially since it has taken a month already.

What suggestions do you have for where to go from here?

Advertisements

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
did you check if everything is hooked up it sounds like your computer isnt getting enough power.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
At the present time only the barebones necessary to get to my bios settings has been installed. If anything this reduces the power demands of the system. What I don't understand is what functions the 4 pin power connector serves and if that could be the problem rather than the mobo. I cannot imagine that MSI would tell me that my board was defective if it wasn't. But neither does it make sense that they would not recheck the board after the reported repair.

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Sorry I cant tell you what the pin does but your power supply could be failing but I doubt that since your computer is recently new.

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I think you should ask and administrator to help you out with this I dont think i can be much more help