Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build - Power only stays on for a fraction of a second

• Please log in to reply

tavroh

tavroh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Built my first computer and when I turn it on the cpu fan and cooling fans start but only stay on a fraction of a second. I checked everything I could think of. Any suggestions???

Thanks.

Edited by tavroh, 28 November 2006 - 10:00 PM.

Advertisements

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Re-check the front panel connections, you may have the power button connection wrong. You may have wired the Reset switch to the Power Switch pins on the motherboard headers.

Edited by Jack Hackett, 29 November 2006 - 01:55 AM.

tavroh

tavroh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Checked that. However I am having trouble determining which side if the two wire connector is ground and which is power. The only indication on the connector is a small triangle on one side. Is that ground or power?

Tried it both ways and still does not work.

Edited by tavroh, 29 November 2006 - 06:12 AM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
perhaps its a PSU problem??? have you checked that?

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK, lets eliminate the case buttons
Remove the case panel wires from mobo
Use a screwdriver to short the 2 power pins for a moment, does the PC fire up then/
If not, check for the motherboard shorting out on the case standoffs etc
Once your satisfied that it is OK try a know good PSU, if it fires up then, you know you need an new PSU

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
This could also be a short between the motherboard and the case. Make sure you're using at least 5 copper risers between the case and the mobo, and make sure that there is nothing (like a screw) caught underneat the motherboard.

edit - er...yeah...to expand on what Jack said. No reading comprehension for me today.

Edited by Kurenai, 09 December 2006 - 05:40 AM.