Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Freezing when Using certain Ethernet Card

• Please log in to reply

Scyth3x

Scyth3x

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well recently I purchased a D-Link DFE-528TX 10/100mb Ethernet card, to replace my old Netgear FA311 (For certain reasons, Mainly because it freezes my computer when playing WoW, or using Blizzard Downloader, or Torrents, and I would always get this annoything thing where, I would start the computer, and my net would be SLOW AS CRAP, I'd have to restart 5-6 times before having "good speed" before I could do anything, and this is attrocious for 1.5m/256k internet; If you know how to solve that, that'd be awesome (Y), using XP btw)
Anyway, I've put it in, net's connected, all fine, I could restart 100 times and it would always be fast, until the computer just 100% freezes, I have to restart, at first I thought it was a virus, but I tried using the computer without the Net card enabled, I got bored after 3 hours of non-freezing, enabled it, froze within 5-10 seconds.

I thought it was my internet, so I put back in my Netgear card, and it works perfectly, I swap back to my D-Link, freezes in a few minutes.

I recently formatted, so I'm trying to download the Windows Updates, but It freezes while it's downloading...But I don't think that's it
Is there anything I can download on my Netgear atm that would prevent my computer from freezing while using my D-Link card :tazz:

Any idea's would be great ;)

Advertisements

Scyth3x

Scyth3x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

but I tried using the computer without the Net card DISABLED, I got bored af...

View Post

Should be clearer :tazz:

Scyth3x

Scyth3x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bump

C'mon, I really need the help :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Here's something you can look at until a better idea comes along. My apologies if you have already done this.
View the device manager for the network cards. Look for red or yellow symbols in the network adapter list.

Things to try:
1. remove all network adapters from the list shown in the device manager, then restart your computer, install the network card using plug and play(shoud run on restart), look at device manager, test
2. try the network card in another computer
3. try another network card in your computer

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

3. try another network card in your computer

I agree. Just sounds like a bad Network Interface Card to me.

Scyth3x

Scyth3x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I just went back to my comp shop AGAIN, I demanded to get a replacement for it, as it was clearly faulty, but not at their shop :\

And well I'm on my new one now, and there's no problems at all :tazz:

Thanks for replying/helping, who knows, I might need your help with something in the future ^^