Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly built...Suddenly stops booting? :[

• Please log in to reply

Holy_Nerd_Batman

Holy_Nerd_Batman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright, since it would be completely impossible for me to explain my problem without giving you a rundown of events, I'll try to sum it up quickly and shortly.
I recently bought parts to build a computer in the months of February/April and everything went fine. I had my cousin and friend help me out in building this computer mostly for games. Well, my friend used a whole thing of *Heatsink for the processor and my cousin told me that he shouldn't have done that. :whistling:
(*Note: I'm not quite sure this is what it's called, but I think it is.)
Here are some of the specs, if it'll help:
-ASUS Motherboard
-BFG Tech GeForce 7800 GT OC Graphics Card
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
-CD/DVD ROM and burner
-2 sticks 1G Corsair RAM and 2 sticks 512MB Corsair RAM
-Floppy drive
-400W Power Supply
-1 fan on side

Now, after everything was put together and said and done, the computer worked fine. I realized that I needed more fans for my computer, so I ran it as little as I most possibly could while I saved up the money to get more fans. The computer was working fine for a few months until around June and then one day it restarted itself. Since then it would not boot up. I haven't had the time to get it checked out or check it out myself until recently.
I'm suspecting that I might need a bigger power supply since when I try to turn it on it does nothing - the boot screen won't even come up. A second opinion on this matter would be well appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Liz

P.S. Also, being new to this as of tonight, if I posted this in the wrong area I apologize in advance.

Edited by Holy_Nerd_Batman, 29 November 2006 - 12:47 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go, holy nerd batman.

When you try starting up the computer you are hitting the botton on the front of the case. When you do this do any fan's start running? Processor fan, case fan, or power supply fan? If not i could be 2 things. Most probably the power supply has gone bad and needs replacing. It could also be just the power switch has failed( not likely but could be) and that needs to be checked first. One method i check the switch with is to pull the pin connectors on the motherboard for the power switch and use a flat blade screwdriver to just touch and connect the 2 pins together( for a moment only)and see if the computer will fire up. If the fans do not even start to move the power supply is probably dead. Did you check to see if the power supply was set to 115 volts( some are 115/230). If you can find a working PS that you can test the computer with you do not even have to install the PS in the computer to see if it is the problem. I will lay the computer on its side with the case open and hook up the power supply connectors and see if the computer will boot.

If you are getting fans running and some light are lighting up you need to move on to find what hardware is causing the problem.

Let us know what you find so far to move on to the next step.

SRX660