Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ASUS K8V-X SE won't boot

• Please log in to reply

music_warrior

music_warrior

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to build a new system, specs are as follows:

ASUS K8V-X SE motherboard
AMD 3400+ 2.6 ghz Athlon 64
2 gb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM
Maxtor 300GB SATA HD
Nvidia 6200 512mb

I hooked everything up and tried to start the machine. The fans started and the hard drive ran, but the computer made no beeps and nothing showed up on the monitor. The activity lights on the RAM didn't even light up. I stuck the RAM in my current machine and they ran just fine.

What can I do to get this thing running?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It's now time to use a diagonistic method to find your problem. I usually will double check all cable connections at this time. Make sure the cables #1 pins are correctly placed. Start with power supply, MB, 1 stick of ram, CPU & heatsink(fans hooked up),KeyBoard, mouse, video, monitor, and try firing it up. You should get error beeps because there is no hard drive hooked up. If there are no beeps you should check to see if there is a system speaker on the motherboard. I looked up the MB on newegg and cannot see a system speaker, but the pictures are not good enough for a clear view. There may be only a pair of pins to hook up a system speaker up to. If there is a on-board system speaker and you still get no beeps you have a problem with the motherboard or CPU. The next step is to hook up a hard drive and try booting. If you have on-board video you should be able to get to the bios by hitting the delete key constantly while booting up. Do you get any kind of display yet? If the hard drive is bad the computer may not get video. I keep known good old HD's around for testing this. If you still get nothing then its time to replace Motherboard or CPU. Bad memory can stop the computer from booting but should be getting system beeping to tell you something is wrong. If the motherboard has a bad system battery (nickel coin size on the motherboard) it could cause the problem and and if the bios is lost then you will get your problem of no booting. Sometimes replacing the battery solves the problem.

SRX660

music_warrior

music_warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tested to see if it's a bad power supply by hooking my current machine's PSU into the board, it still has the problem. I took the RAM from that board and tried it in mine, they work fine.

I had an old ASUS K8VSE Deluxe sitting in a box, which I placed the processor and HSF in along with the memory, and a video card. The only problem with this motherboard is that the little lever that holds the video card in place is missing from the AGP slot.

When I fired up that board, the machine made a continuous series of beeps: one long, two short, whereas with the other setup I was getting no beeps, no sound at all.

Could this mean that I might just have a bad mobo (the K8V-X)?

Edited by music_warrior, 29 November 2006 - 06:04 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the old board has the award bios the beep code says it has a video problem.

Have you been able to locate a round plastic thing on the motherboardabout 3/8 inch high and 7/16 inch diameter with a small hole in the center? This is what a built-in system speaker looks like.

Near the bottom of this picture, slightly to the right is a motherboard Black system speaker just in front of the yellow jumpers.

http://www.dvhardwar...ax4sgmax/21.jpg

If you do not have one of these you probably need to hook up a system speaker. Heres a neat one i found.

http://www.bestbytei...AS-CHW-SP1.html

Yes, the motherboard could be bad if it refuses to boot up and the speaker is working. I do not spend much time trying to figure whats wrong with new motherboards. If i can't get it to boot in an hour it is RMA'd back for a replacement.

As a side note, i have quite a few failures with ASUS motherboards, so i do not have much tolerance for them and RMA them very quickly.

SRX660

music_warrior

music_warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll probably just go ahead and RMA the thing. I've installed three of four motherboards in my lifetime and never had this kind of problem.