Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a DVD/CDRW DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have an older Toshiba A10 Satellite, yada yada yada...

My DVD/CDRW drive is a Matshita UJDA750. It's a combo drive, but that's vague.

Let's talk turkey, can this drive burn to DVD's or not?

I've read faq's about DVD+RW and DVD-RW etc...

But if this is a combo drive, it should be no problem, right? It's currently not agreeing with my DVD-R blank discs.

Any help? I have the latest firmware, and in fact didn't need to update.

Thanks. :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
PS - I'm not interested in burning DVD's for movies per say...

I'm interested in burning DVD DATA DISCS. :whistling:

Edited by Chainsaw23, 29 November 2006 - 03:07 AM.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Is it a software issue? Or is this drive incappable of burning to DVD discs?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
- it is a good computer for the price but it does not have a dvd writer (if the model is the one that I see on google that is, to be 100% sure there is the model number on the back and a quick check with toshiba's site will reconfirm that we are talking about the same model here)

Edited by fleamailman, 29 November 2006 - 05:47 AM.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi, welcome to this site
- it is a good computer for the price but it does not have a dvd writer (if the model is the one that I see on google that is, to be 100% sure there is the model number on the back and a quick check with toshiba's site will reconfirm that we are talking about the same model here)

The model number on the bottom is a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129.

Can we reconfirm that this model's DVD ROM/CDRW Drive is not DVD burn capable?

I'm searching Toshiba's site now.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
DVD ROM/CDRW type drives cannot burn DVDs No need to even look it up, the name tells you.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

DVD ROM/CDRW type drives cannot burn DVDs No need to even look it up, the name tells you.

I figured this much, but then why come with the DVD burning software?

I just needed to be 100% sure.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Most software bundled with CD-RWs are things like Nero express, etc... The software would likely allow you to burn CD and DVD provided your drive supported it. But DVD/CD RW combo drives do not burn to DVD so this feature in the software would simply go unused.

Sinfamous

Sinfamous

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
This is a common problem with older burners. Usually, if the drive is a Combo CD-RW/DVD-RW combo drive, it will specify the RW in the name. There is such thing as a Combo drive, which will only PLAY DVDs, but also burn regular CDs. Test it. Regular CD-Rs should work, you should be able to PLAY a DVD. Have you tried playing a DVD movie?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

This is a common problem with older burners. Usually, if the drive is a Combo CD-RW/DVD-RW combo drive, it will specify the RW in the name. There is such thing as a Combo drive, which will only PLAY DVDs, but also burn regular CDs. Test it. Regular CD-Rs should work, you should be able to PLAY a DVD. Have you tried playing a DVD movie?

That's exactly what this drive does. It burns to CD's, something I've done quite a bit of... but as far as the DVD capabilities go, it can only play them.

Thanks everybody for the help. :whistling: