Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

nednod

nednod

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I really dont know what my laptop can do, its a celeron and i really need to know weather i can go wireless, i think i need to buy a chip, but there a bit pricey, dont wanna waste my money or anything, is there anything anybody can tell me, its about 2 years old!!!
:whistling:
Nathan

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it = two years old

wifi is not hard to miss as there is normally a sticker on the laptop telling one,
- go to the device manager of your computer and see is anything looks like wifi

anyway if the above doesn't help, use the below link to get the specs but easier is to go to the maker's site with the model number

everest old free verson
http://www.oldversio...p?n=everesthome

Edited by fleamailman, 29 November 2006 - 05:30 AM.

nednod

nednod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wow, thank u, that was fast. i will have a look later when i get home, at work at the min, thank u for u r help, in advance!!!

Have sweet day man!!

Nathan :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
np

nednod

nednod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Right, i got the model;
Toshiba, SA40-151
PSA40E-0CQ1E-EN

thats what it says, and that WIFI thing didnt come up when i searched, but when i put satelite in, a whole thing of search things come up, i think i need a chip thing tho....???

Help???

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please check in the device manager if the WLan card was installed. Additional you can check on the bottom of the unit if the WLan label exists. If it doesn’t exists so I assume your notebook has no WLan. In such case you can use a external solution like a USB Wlan stick.

SRX660

nednod

nednod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It doesnt have it installed i dont think, i was told i need a chip, as its a satelite laptop, theres a slot where a chip goes!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Wireless LAN was a option on this laptop. If you do not have it on the computer already it is probably easier and cheaper to use a Wireless network hub or router and then use a USB wireless adapter to get wireless to the laptop.

http://www.csd.toshi...;ListType=Model

http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

SRX660

nednod

nednod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i really want to set it up so i can use it on the move, i.e, in cafe's n stuff!?!?!?! is this possible do u know??? Sorry to be a pain!

Jodi006

Jodi006

• Pip
  • 2 posts
had a new laptop bought for me a few weeks ago, had wireless already installed. Its fun going on next doors connection :whistling:

Advertisements

nednod

nednod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thats so not fair, i live in a council estate, there will be nobody with wireless here 4 miles, u lucky thing!!! My loptops a bit old, but its a good one and i only really use it 4 music!!! Need wireless!!!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
pcmcia wifi card is very cheap, there are also ones for USB ports too,

nednod

nednod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
what the [bleep] is a pcmcia wifi card, where do i get one from and how much will it cost???

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
pcmcia is just the fancy name for slot normally of the side of the laptop where those rectangular cards fit in,

to give you an idea then, here is a link of the type of thing

http://www.amazon.co...182614-1,C,1702

nednod

nednod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Xmicro WLAN PCMCIA Card, IEEE802.11g (54Mbits) - take a search for this one, i just bought it!!! Is it a good one, i know where the slot is, somebody said that a wireless thing goes in there b4!!! YAY!!! Thankx so much 4 the advice, it saved me a bomb on one of those call things, like £1 a min!!!