Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wirelsee routers

• Please log in to reply

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I am wondering if I'm the only one having dropped signals with the Linksys WRT54G, ver-5.0 wireless router.

I have tried changing channels and tweaking and still after a few hours or so it will drop the signal. I contacted Linksys and after much debate they told me to RMA it.. I did and they sent me a replacement, (new) WRT54G - ver 5.0 router. Worked well for about 6 hours and then it started dropping the signal.

I then did some study on Linksys wireless routers and found that over the years of producing the WRT54G router they have changed. versions 1.0 & 2.0 were the best produced. They were the only WRT54G routers that came with a mini PCI wireless card inside and when Linksys was not owned by Cisco, and the software was Linux based.

The new WRT54G ver 5.0 wireless router has switched from Linux OS to Vx works OS - cut ram in half and flash in half.

At the office we offer a wireless service to the public and have had quite a number of customers complain about the Linksys WRT54G ver 5.0 wireless router dropping signal.

I found that you can upgrade the Vx works OS to Linux and cure the problem of dropped signals.

http://www.wrtrouter...upgradetolinux/

Though my question is.. Is anyone else having this problem with dropped signals and what did you do to fix it ?

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
As a Linksys Network installer I have found that about 90% of my troublecalls involving signal dropping out are caused by poorly placed routers. There are many things in a home that can cause you to drop your signal, just about anything metal located within your routers broadcast area (examples: chicken wire inside plaster walls, AC Ducting, Pipes, Fridgerators, Microwaves, Really thick walls, more than two walls, stuff like that) can not only cause deadspots, but can cause intermittent connectivity outside the deadspots also.

If your router is not located on the top floor, in the center of your house, then there is a good chance you will experience dropped signals.

Another common cause of dropped signals is not the router itself but actually the pc. If you are running two wireless configuration utilities at the same time (Example: Intels config utility and WZC at the same time), or if your wireless card is substandard or faulty can cause this as well. Not to mention that WEP has been known to cause losses as well (usually very rare though).

Hope this helps you out.