Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Net1.exe

• Please log in to reply

kirkf

kirkf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Is this a virus? I am running Windows XP on a HP computer I purchased 9 months ago. Whenever I turn the computer on the following message appears "Net1.exe-Application error (0x0000142).

I am no longer able to access the internet. However, my computer says I am connected and the signal is good.

How can I get rid of this message and get back on-line. I am using IE6.

Many thanks for any help!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have antivirus and/or spyware software, and if so, do you keep them updated and run scans regularly?

How long has this error been popping up? Can you pinpoint anything unusual that happened on your computer just prior to this error showing up? Can you do a system restore back to a day prior to the error?

What is the specific error you get when trying to get on the internet? Is your OS updated with all updates?

You might try running SFC /scannow (Start, Run, SFC /scannow). This is scan and replace missing or corrupt system files. Be sure to have your Windows CD handy when running.

kirkf

kirkf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Do you have antivirus and/or spyware software, and if so, do you keep them updated and run scans regularly? I did. Norton said it had expired about 2 months ago. They were wrong. Should expire 2-17-07. They just corrected this last night.

How long has this error been popping up? Can you pinpoint anything unusual that happened on your computer just prior to this error showing up? Can you do a system restore back to a day prior to the error?

Has been doing this for about a week or so. However, now I cannot get logged onto the internet.
Thought about doing the restore. How do you do this?

What is the specific error you get when trying to get on the internet? Is your OS updated with all updates?

When I boot or re-boot this is the message " Application Error...Net1.exe 0x0000142". It will not let you connect to the internet and will not let you close the message. You can go to Task Manager and it still will not let you close it.

You might try running SFC /scannow (Start, Run, SFC /scannow). This is scan and replace missing or corrupt system files. Be sure to have your Windows CD handy when running.

Edited by kirkf, 29 November 2006 - 10:58 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To do a system restore, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. You be presented with a calendar - pick a date several days prior to the first instance of that error. The restore will process and the system will reboot. I believe you'll be notified at the end if the restore was successful.

kirkf

kirkf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much!