Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTG Project?

• Please log in to reply

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I meant to ask you, is the .js snowfall not compliant or are we looking to stay non-motion?

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

I meant to ask you, is the .js snowfall not compliant or are we looking to stay non-motion?

IMHO it would normally fall under the "fluff" category... BUT, being that the site is not really a "sit down and gather information" site I will look at integrating it into the design...

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The .js broke my forum in IE when it was installed. Works great in IE6, but breaks the forum completely in IE7 (thanks again Microsoft). I like the idea, but we will have to find another javascript if we want to add that in there.

Here is how I see the structure, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

index.php -- Front page with either Login or Register area. All registrations need to be admin approved.

register.php -- Registration page (maybe just have this on index.php?).

main.php -- Main page once registered and logged in. Links to Add, Edit, View Christmas lists. Maybe a list of all other registered users and their information also? Family contact list?

add.php -- Place for adding to a list. Name and email address information added automatically based on login information.

edit.php -- Place for editing a list. Cant edit any list other than their own. When they hit edit it takes them directly to their list to edit, no options to see any others.

view.php -- Simple table-like layout to view all current lists.

xfig.php -- Configuration file with MySQL information, family name, page title, and any other variables that we want to add.

style.css -- CSS file for layout variables. To make it user friendly, it would be best if its well commented.

I am comfortable with the php/mysql for adding and viewing the lists, [bleep] Michael almost did all of it for me in a thread for someone else in the web design forum. However some of it I will need help with.

Session variables in the add process. I can do most of the add part, but Ill need to know what variables to input for username and email so that information goes into sql with their list.

The editing process. I have not done this before.

Register, Login, Admin Approval, Admin email to notify of people to approve.

So ya, Im really not a ton of help, but Ill do what I can. Thoughts?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Since the deadline is now next Christmas so I don't think anyone is in a great hurry now.

But I might add to the above.

approve.php -- delete or approve new users, or delete old ones.

I am almost finished as I said a week ago in chat, I just have not done anything since. I should do it sometime soon.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
My basic thought process is that were already started, if we lay off and wait until xmas (or just before), things will get busy again and we wont be able to get it done. I would rather try to get the team together and get the majority of the work done asap and then take the next 6 months to do any tedious work like adding features or changing any problems that we find.

Thats my thought anyways.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

I am comfortable with the php/mysql for adding and viewing the lists, [bleep] Michael almost did all of it for me in a thread for someone else in the web design forum. However some of it I will need help with.

What thread was that?

* Michael goes back to slaving away on the login script.

Edited by Michael, 06 January 2007 - 08:29 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=868723

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
ah, my little 2 second whack together. Good to see it is going to be used.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
ah, my little 2 second whack together. Good to see it is going to be used.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I figured I would use it as a base anyways, its not a complete script.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
When registering, do you want the persons street address?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Maybe as an optional. Would make it more versatile for different uses.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Ok if you want to do that how about

date of birth
phone number
mobile number
male/female
hair color...

I am just adding the finishing touches to the login.php, approve.php, and register.php

I notice your on MSN messenger right now ....

Edited by Michael, 09 January 2007 - 07:58 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Michael and I talked in IM last night and he is going to add a "personal profile" section to the script for extra information.

As I said last night, I want to make it as inclusive and useful as possible, without making it so overbearing that no one wants to use it. We can require a name/email/password and have Personal Profile as an option. That way grandma who hates computers can still figure it out.

That way families that are a long way apart can send things via mail and for those who are close together, they can ignore that part.

I promise to work on my part today, but to finish it, Ill have to see the variables that Michael is using for username and email since I need to include that in the add.php

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Let me know when you have a solid base and I will start working more of the design around it...