Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTG Project?

• Please log in to reply

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You are probably just busy working on it, but, so you know register.php comes up with an empty page and view.php is not found :whistling:

I would love FTP access to see what you have done.

Its looking great man, thanks for all your work on this project.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I have a lot on my plate at the moment (very busy at work, getting ready to close on a new house, etc) so I have had zero time to look at this... what I saw already though doesn't look like it needs a whole lot of input from me... Michael seems to have it under control...

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I think where you (and hopefully I) will come in best is the theming/skinning of the site. Doing the CSS with notes and the html with notes so that skinning/changing the layout is easier for the end user.

Up to the challenge?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I finished school last Monday, grade 12 so that is school done for ever.

I meant to the get around to doing this, but right now it does not look like I will have that time, so hopefully someone else will step in an finish it. Everything I have done is in the attached file.

Attached Files

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I moved this thread from a "different" place that most people cant see. This project was started a very long time ago and we have had very little action on it as of late.

Its a rather sizable project, and one that I cannot complete alone. I wrote the initial script, but it was simple.

Now I would like to get this project completed, so I am moving this thread where everyone can see it.

Anyone interested in helping with this project, let me know via PM.

I will set up a "special place" where we can all convene and get this done. Its likely too late to be released in time for Xmas this year, but hopefully it will be done in time so that people know it exists for next year.

ScHwErV :)

Nemesis

Nemesis

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
sounds kinda interesting... unfortunately I'm flooded with project plans up to 2008 Spring/summer. So I might not be able to join you guys in time. However, I can offer some advice if you guys need any.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I don't think were lacking in advice nearly as much as were lacking in proficient coders who can complete a project like this. We had one, but he got busy in the real world and now were where we are now.

Still looking for help if anyone is interested.

Nemesis

Nemesis

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
I really think that if you want a program to keep a christmas shopping list that it is best not placed online. Most people won't end up using it because they don't feel the web is secure enough. Anyone that has access to the database can technically look inside the data. I think it is more practical to script an offline windows application. This is just my 2 cents.. hope you don't mind.

Edited by Nemesis, 09 December 2007 - 02:50 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The whole purpose of this is a list that you can share with others, via the web, in a protected environment.

Having a windows based application doesn't even scratch the purpose of this project. Actually I couldn't even begin to think of what purpose something like that would serve.

The original script that I wrote and still use, based on flatfiles with no ability to edit, minimal security, and little authentication gets heavily used by both sides of my family. All I did to secure it was to password protect the directory.

I am unsure as to the exact purpose of your post.

Most people won't end up using it because they don't feel the web is secure enough.

How vital is the information that Grandma Ethel wants socks for Christmas? Millions of people shop online daily, bank online, get car insurance online, reserve hotels and flights, and many other things. Yet you think that people wont use a script like this for something as simple as a Christmas list? Seriously?

Anyone that has access to the database can technically look inside the data.

Who in their right mind gives access to their database to the public? GTG runs on a database and you cant look inside the data stored in the GTG database. Why would this be any different?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Interesting: http://listas.labs.l...74-faa8a2844977

However, no way to password protect... yet (except owner).

Advertisements