Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updater Message Popping Up

• Please log in to reply

jubbing

jubbing

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey all,
This message keeps popping up and is very annoying. Anything I can do to get rid of it/turn it off?
Posted Image

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Looks like it has something to do with your McAfee.

Try reinstalling it.

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Um... don't have the cd for it, so that could be a slight problem...

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well That AV isnt one of my choices. Would you mind if I supply you with a free AVG and ditching McAfee? McAfee is tend to have lots of problems

AVG Free is under one of my Antiviruses. I just cant use it because I have 2kserver I used it in the past though

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yea, I have been thinking of ditching McAfee, the download (upgrades) has never worked... so this might be a better choice for me.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I agree, free AVG is the way to go in most instances...not because MS is bad, though...

Over the years, I've learned that whatever "works" is what is the best. And whatever "works" often changes over time.

I take ACDSee as a point...on my system, it will absolutely NOT work under XP-SP2. I depend on ACDSee for much of my work. So, as a result, I now no longer support the XP-SP2 scenario...not because it's bad, but because my other "stuff" won't work under it.

To cover my butt, then, I have to have top drawer 3rd party-ware that I can trust to work under XP-SP1 [I keep my XP-SP2 CD at the ready...order from MS...free]

Edited by b1caez01, 29 November 2006 - 08:32 PM.

jubbing

jubbing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
hm.. yea, that should be the way to go, thanks then.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Some key things to consider... Keep a prepared work sheet handy as to "what" you are going to do over any given time period to keep your system working well...this will save you headaches that you cannot imagine until you are in the middle of the mother of all migranes... :blink:

1. daily maintenance>system defrag, registry cleaner, crap cleaner, internet cache, etc.....
2. weekly maintenance>system defrag, chkdsk, sfc_/scannow [I do that daily too]. XP related updates
3. monthly> system defrag>update all drivers>update all software>delete unused files, folders and other junque :help: , Windows updates
4. your own special progs for special issues can be done on the fly, when ever you feel the need...or when an auto update kicks in...
5. shut off ALL progs in the systray that are working before installing something, updating or upgrading
6. be sure all traces of an uninstalled prog are cleaned from the registry
7. do not hand delete a prog to uninstall it, unless there is an uninstall function in the home folder
8. use Windows Add and Delete function to get rid of unwanted progs
9. clean setup or startup of any progs that are redundant at the time, and set them up to function as needed only [helps resource use a lot]
10. and there are probably a hundred more suggestions...
11. once everything is in apple pie order, set up a special "user" account for everyone that uses the computer but you...and lock them out of yours! :whistling:

P.S. while I am doing all of this, I play Windows games and listen to http://www.jazz.fm/