Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with standby mode.

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi,
I've got a 3 year old eMachine T6212. Recently I installed a new hard drive and a new clean install of XP Pro, SP2.
I have set the Power Options to put the monitor, hard drive and pc into standby after 45 minutes of not being used.
Then, as usual, click apply and ok.
And the monitor goes to sleep after about 10 minutes. I haven't checked if the rest of the pc goes to sleep at the same time, but I know that when I come back into the room after being gone for a short time, I have to move the mouse around or tap a key a few times to get anything on the screen.
And then I have to enter the password again.
I hope you have some ideas.
Thanks,
John

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi John. Go back to Power Options in Control panel. Click the 'Advanced' tab. Uncheck "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby".

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
My problem isn't that I have to use a password. It's that my pc goes into standby after a few minutes even though I've set it to kick in after 45 minutes of idle time.
If I uncheck the password box as you suggest, how does that affect the above problem?
Thanks,
John

Sinfamous

Sinfamous

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Under the properties, click on the SCREEMSAVER tab, and click the button at the bottom labeled: "Power...".

From this menu:

You will see different pull-down menus, including: Turn off Monitor, Turn off Hard disks, System Standby, System Hibernates, etc.

Tweak these settings as you wish. For example, I have my "Turn off Monitor" set to one hour. Which means if I leave it alone for an hour, the monitor will shutoff to conserve power. Try switching it to NEVER TURN OFF, or whatever you choose.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sinfamous,
Thanks. That's where I messed up.
John