Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

email signature help

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i got an email from a supplier with a really nifty animated signature...so i wanted to..."borrow" it...i clicked view source and found the part of the email that contained the animated signature doodad...and customized it with my info....saved it as an htm file...and when i double click the file...sure enough...it opens in I.E. and looks just as expected...HOWEVER....when i try to use the thing as an email signature...it doesn't fly....at all.. none of the text shows up and the animation is non existant...i'm obviously missing something...probalby because i have no idea what i'm doing

this is by no means a priority...just figured with the wealth of knowledge...someone would have fun with it

i've attached the modified version of what i was emailed...this seems to only be the animated signature part...i can get the whole source if it helps...

Advertisements

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

i got an email from a supplier with a really nifty animated signature...so i wanted to..."borrow" it...i clicked view source and found the part of the email that contained the animated signature doodad...and customized it with my info....saved it as an htm file...and when i double click the file...sure enough...it opens in I.E. and looks just as expected...HOWEVER....when i try to use the thing as an email signature...it doesn't fly....at all.. none of the text shows up and the animation is non existant...i'm obviously missing something...probalby because i have no idea what i'm doing

this is by no means a priority...just figured with the wealth of knowledge...someone would have fun with it

i've attached the modified version of what i was emailed...this seems to only be the animated signature part...i can get the whole source if it helps...

I actually heard of this in an article for web optimization.. Different files can be overlayed on each other; even javascript onto GIFs, and seem to be one file. I actually came across an example of this on the LJ community "Bad Web Design". It was a window, with a picture of a S & M girl with a whip and the title bar read "I am your web mistress, you must.." and then there was a 'submit' button. It was a GIF overlayed on a regular picture of a window, and text overlayed on the image.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
while i understand what you're suggesting...i don't feel that this is the case...as the source doesn't mention any images...everything that comes up seems to be created by the code itself...could be wrong though

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Maybe you can compare the sources here

http://www.anisigs.co.uk/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
must be important...just got 6 notifiers for that reply...i'll check it out

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
made a little progress...i turned word off as my email editor...and i can get it to send out fine animated and all....to my own account (and theoretically to any other outlook accounts)...but if i send a copy to say...my gmail account...it get's hosed once it gets there....i would imagine that this is the fault of the code?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it the difference between the way it is added, incredimail just uses insert, maybe check how to use these signatures to see if it helps

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...it may be possible..i'll check that link when i can....
the signature is being inserted automatically right now....
i got it to work correctly as far as placement for hotmail...the scrolling animation is really slow in the hotmail box...but...in outlook all is well....gmail completely hoses it

most of my mail goes to people using outlook as well..i just want to make sure it's concistant

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It doesn't matter if you send it from Outlook to gmail? gmail won't recognise it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right...it recognizes it...it just...doesn't animate and moves things around

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Getting warm?

http://groups.google...27d1a3188893969

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope...maybe i'm the one being confusing here....i'm sending via outlook through my exchange acount...when it get's RECEIVED in gmail...it's screwed up in the mail...when it's recieved in hotmail...it comes out fine (though slow...but fine)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I was as usual clutching at straws, if gmail won't send them a particular way, maybe it can only see them if they are looking at hosted images

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..in that gmail group discussion deal..i've found evidence that gmail doesn't actually support html signatures...like...it's VERY hard to use one as a gmail signature...one could assume that this may make it pretty difficult for it to read them as well?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Seems so, someone posted a method and gmail borked the link??