Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ATI vs Nvidia

• Please log in to reply

milk1122

milk1122

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i am trying to figure out what would be a better card to have in my computer.
SAPPHIRE 100146DDVIL Radeon X1600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card
Interface PCI Express x16
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon X1600XT
PixelPipelines 12
Memory Size 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO No
Tuner None
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560x1600
Cooler With Fan
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
Vista Ready Yes
Features Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0
Ultra-Threaded Shader Engine
Avivo Video and Display Platform
CrossFire

or

eVGA 256-P2-N550 -T2 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Interface PCI Express x16
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce 7600GT
Core clock 560MHz
PixelPipelines 12
Memory Clock 1400MHz(effective)
Memory Size 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO No
Tuner None
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560x1600
SLI Supported Yes
Cooler With Fan
Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP/XP x64/MCE 2005
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
Vista Ready Yes
NVIDIA PureVideo technology
NVIDIA CineFX 4.0 Engine
NVIDIA Intellisample 4.0 technology
NVIDIA nView multi-display technology

and would it make a diffrence if i had two? is there one thing that is very important to look at? what is this CrossFire? any thing else that i need to know while shoping for a card?

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
The nvdia 7600GT will get better FPS on games than that of the X1600XT. For graphics the picture quailty is slighty better on the ATI cards.

Yeah you need to look at for the speed of the core and memory. The memory interface is also another important one as it controls how many bits of information can be sent at one time.

Crossfire is SLI but ATIs version meaning you can link 2 graphics cards together to make it alot faster it works in the same sort of way as a dual core processor except u need 2 graphics cards. The Nvidia Geforce 7950GX2 is 2 graphics cards bolted together meaning its SLI in one card with two 7950GX2s you can have quad SLI even though its not much point as its just alot of money for very little preformance upgrade.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are both going to be roughly similar when everything is weighed up, but now isnt the best time to buy a new DX version is coming out and it needs slightly different hardware so i would wait at least a month before buying graphics hardware, there will be new much better stuff and old stuff will drop in price.