Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replacing a hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well I am replacing my internal 75GB with a 200GB and I had a question. What is the easiest way to transfer all my data on this HD to the other one and start booting up off the new one?

I am guessing I should just install the new HD and copy & paste everything over and then remove the old hard drive and boot up. Would that work, or are there other steps I need to take?

I'm going to attempt this little project tonight, so let me know of any tips! thanks.

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Two words for ya buddy. Norton Ghost.

It will completely copy everything from one drive to another. It's a bit tricky to use but it is going to be your best bet. :whistling:

Good luck with the copying of files. I've done it the hard way.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Some drive manufacturers have utilities to copy everything over, otherwise Ghost is a good idea.

Trying to manually copy the files will not work since some of the system files will not copy or not copy properly.

Sinfamous

Sinfamous

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Even better, Microsoft has a feature that does all of this automatically!! Copies files, settings, registry entries, everything! Under Accessories/System Tools - File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Quick and easy. Quick and easy.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well I ended up doing all the copying with a program that came with the HD, and now I have one problem. Whenever I start up on the new drive it asked me what OS to start and it shows two selections for Windows (default). How can I get rid of this? All 74GB of my old HD are now on this one, but I can't figure out why it would think there are two installations of the OS.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Any ideas?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I am aware of the dual boot, but since I mainly deal with Linux, I am not sure of how to control it.

You might want to start a new topic to ask that question since it is a separate topic, in a way. Otherwise, you will need to wait until someone can answer that.