Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Windows Back up utility?

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
First I'll let you know what I want to do.

I have new (4 months old) system bought from Dell. I have alot of things in it that I want to backup. But I also have alot of crap the dell installed that I don't want. So I thought I would back up the things I want to keep. And reinstall the OS (Windows XP Home). I know I could just remove the Dell crap. But I think it will be better if I just start over with what I want installed. I have a recovery disk with just the OS (No bundled stuff) and not all the other crap.

Now for the problem

I went to Start, Programs, Accesories, System tools then looked for backup. But I don't have the utility. I also looked around in the Admin tools in the control panel. I didn't see anything in there either.

Does anyone know why I don't have the backup utility or how I can find it? Or maybe you know of a better plan for doing what I want to do?

BTW: I have 3 systems, 1 with XP Home (this is the one without the backup utililty), 2 with XP Pro (both have the backup utility).... :whistling:

Advertisements

jubbing

jubbing

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I can't see why you wouldn't have the backup option, I have a Dell as well, and it has that option. Maybe the XP Home doesn't have that or something...

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hmm Odd. I have it and I have XP home

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have been over it a hundred times now. I thought that maybe I just over looked it. I've been all over this thing and can't find it anywhere. All I have that even comes close is Files and Setting wizard.
Just seems odd to me that it's not there. I have used it many times in the past. But not on this system....

Edited by duley3, 29 November 2006 - 06:08 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Backup is not installed on XP Home by default. You can install it from the/a XP Home CD yourself.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I wondered if that was the case. Do you think I'll be able to pull it off a recovery disk? That's all I have for this system. I do have a xp pro disk could I get it from that?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

How to create the 'Backup' utility for Windows XP Home:

Insert your installation/backup copy of XP into you're CD ROM drive.
If the options/installation screen pops up, click on the 'Exit' option.
Double click on the desktop 'My Computer' icon.
Right click on the CD ROM drive icon and select the option 'Open'.
Double click on the 'VALUEADD' folder, then on the 'MSFT' folder.
Double click again on the 'NTBACKUP' folder.
Now double click on the 'NTBACKUP' installer.
Follow through the brief installation instructions and at the end click on the 'Finish' option.
Remove XP CD from CD ROM Drive.
To locate the newly installed Backup utility:
Click on 'Start' / 'All Programs' / 'Accessories' / 'System Tools' / 'Backup'.

Thanks for the help. I will do this later. :whistling:

I just can't stand having things in my system tha I didn't put there. I know it's crazy!

Thanks again

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
And don't forget that there is a back up utility on your install disk...

Disk>VALUE ADDED>MSFT>NTBACKUP>NTBACKUP.MSI

Sorry...knee JERK :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 29 November 2006 - 08:11 PM.