Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows installer

• Please log in to reply

craubs

craubs

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have been working with someone else at Geekstogo to help me get rid of a couple viruses. One of the things he had me trying to do was update Java. Every time I try this, I can download the program, but then the installer gives me the message "the installation package cannot be opened. Verify it exists and that it can be accessed." When I tried to delete Java and then add it again, I got the message, "the service package version is newer than the update. There is no need for this installation." I believe there is something wrong with my windows installer, but no clue what! I would appreciate any help.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Is JAVA an important issue at this stage of your repairs? If not, forget it, and get onto other maintenance operations.

What maintenance steps did you follow post-virus? Did you put everything back into good order?

Are you sure that hard drive is clean of interferences? [Crap Cleaner, Trojan Remover, etc.]

Defrag registry and the hard drive?

Have you replaced the Window's Installer and tried again.

You may not need it, but if you download and install Netscape 7.x, not 8.x...it loads the most updated version of JAVA for its own uses... Chose the option, upon install, to save setup files to a Setup Folder. You can delete all but this folder later if you do not want to keep Netscape.

If and when the process is successful, take that JAVA file from that Setup Folder, and save a copy of it in a Temp folder somewhere...in fact save all of the *.exe files from Netscape to a Temp folder, you never know when these we extras will come in handy.

Baring the above being successful, have a friend do the same, and download and burn a copy on a disk that you will later use for install purposes and storing such files for use later...goog habit to get into...

Edited by b1caez01, 29 November 2006 - 09:10 PM.

craubs

craubs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The person I was working with wanted me to update Java, but my Windows Installer won't let me. He says my computer is clean. He did not have me defrag. I did try deleting Windows Installer and adding again with no luck. How do I get to Netscape 7.x to try that?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
http://sillydog.org/narchive/ :whistling:

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Dial-a-fix repairs many install problems: I have used it. http://www.majorgeek...wnload4899.html

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Will Dial-a-fix repair anything other than dll's ?

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Yes it does. It is comprehensive.