Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvds

• Please log in to reply

babyblue

babyblue

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've recently discovered that dvd's no longer play on my "Compaq Evo"laptop. The picture freezes/pauses after about 10-15 sec after autoplay starts.It's been about 6 months since I've watched dvds on it and at that time everything worked fine. I've cleaned the sensor on the tray and removed the 3 software programs that I installed to avoid possible conflicks. With the programs removed,the performance improved slightly to about 30sec before dvds stop playing. I have no problem playing music cds.The laptop came with Intervideo WinDvd ver 3.2 dxva software already installed on Windows 2000 OS.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Since it stopped working have you installed anymore software (non-dvd specific)

babyblue

babyblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not sure when the dvd stopped working to answer that question. I've only added 3 software programs to the laptop in the last 6 months. First was software for my digital camera. Second was "spy sweeper" software and Third was software for my mp3 player. I've uninstalled all three programs trying to fix this problem but dvd's still freeze up after about 30 sec of play

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Ok, try and work out when the first of these softwares were installed and then do a system restore to this date.

Start > All programmes > Accessories > System Tools > System restore

If you take it back it might stop this happening. If not then there maybe something else wrong with it,.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
It could be a problem with the media player. You might want to try running your DVD's on some other one (like real player or Windows media player) that way we can see if its a media player problem or something else.

MR0624

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Actually thinking about it now, does divx ply dvds? I'm 80% sure it does, try downloading it? who knows

babyblue

babyblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Spike:your idea of using the "system restore" would be a good idea but my laptop is a company laptop and they routinely download update virus patches and fixes and I don't want to lose previous patches. I found a system diagnostic program on my laptop. I used it to test the cdrom drive. It passed the test with a "cd" in the tray but it failed a " read" test with a "dvd". I want to try the test again on one of my co-workers laptop to see if this test fail is normal or part of my problem.

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I work for a HUGE company that has a nothing but HP compaq Evo laptops. WE see a lot of DVD drives that fail after a while, causing what you are saying. #1 try to download " NEMO Codec Pack"( search google ) that may help. Update your video drivers.