Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

buttons!

• Please log in to reply

cathie0104

cathie0104

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi i have just got some buttons off a site saved it as they said, when i look at it its just a load of characters :whistling: Can anyone tell me how and where i should put these on my site. I would like them to line up across the page just under my heading. Thanks.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you give use more detail. Such as a link to your site, were you got the code from. By buttons do you mean link made to look like a buttons? What does the load of characters look like?

And most of all exactly what are you trying to achieve, a horizontal menu?

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi my site is www.aweldegbullmastiffs.co.uk I'm trying to put buttons along the top so people can press them and go to my other pages. I found a way to do coloured buttons but needed paintshop pro and i'm only on windows 98 and this doesn't support it so went to a site that offered free website buttons, then you could add text and 'save as picture' I thought it would just be a case of copy and pasting the code in somewhere. This is just the first line of code. GIF89a¢ + ç ;2"ÊÊⲶ¶–BRR­zZ
0iZ,ÎÎþ66RÖÖþ{{±99`zyšJ:"ââåNN`œœ­

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
So were did you get the button images that you want to use from? And how are you adding them to the buttons?

Edited by Michael, 30 November 2006 - 04:34 AM.

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I was going to get rid of the buttons that are on my site and put the new buttons in instead. Got them fromm aaa buttons just put buttons into yahoo and that came up!!!!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I got write some code for you. First replace your menu with this

<ul id="menu">
<li>
<a href="About Us.html">About Us</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="Our dogs.html">Our Dogs</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="Tess' pedigree.html">Tess' Pedigree</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="Sunnys Pedigree.html">Sunny's Pedigree</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="Puppies.html">Puppies</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="Photo gallery.html">Photo Gallery</a>
</li>
</ul>

And then put this between your <head> </head> tags

<style type="text/css">
#menu {
  padding:0;
  margin:0;
}
#menu li {
  list-style-type:none;
  width:158px;
  height:40px;
  background:url('chang_this_to_your_image.gif');
  float:left;
}
#menu a, #menu a:visited {
  display:block;
  padding:8px;
  text-align:center;
  text-decoration:none;
  color:#ffffff;
}
</style>

You will have to change the name of the GIF image used. If it does not work perfectly, or you don't like white text I will help you fix that. Using this instead of what you are using will have a number of advantages, one being that search engines link Google will be able to follow those link, because they are links and not button how you were using them.

Also one tip, don't use spaces in your links, it does not work properly use _ instead.

Edited by Michael, 30 November 2006 - 05:37 AM.

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi thanks for that, Just wondering now i've put that in one of my pictures has added on to the end?!? Also not that bothered about links to google etc cos its just really for people who know about us and i kind of like the look of buttons!! I know it should be about content and not presentation but i'm a girl!! thanks.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you please up load a test page and post a link to it here so I can see what you mean?

I think presentation is important too, I read that the men are just as bad as the girls when it comes to how a site looks, worse sometimes.

It is good if your friends can find you via google too.

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi sorry i cant upload anything at moment my friend has uploaded these for me. I've just downloaded ftp software so when he gives me a number(????) or something in the next few days i should be able to. Thanks for all your help.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
He well have to give you a user name and password. What FTP software are you going to use?

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Its cuteftp. Any good?? Getting a new comp after xmas so will probably upgrade stuff then.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Lot of money for an FTP program :whistling: I would go with http://www.smartftp.com/ http://www.coreftp.com/ or if you use Firefox http://fireftp.mozdev.org/ I used all of them and there good programs. Almost anyone gives the first two when asked for the best free FTP clients.

Edited by Michael, 01 December 2006 - 06:00 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
SmartFTP is what I have been using for a couple years now. It's simple, easy to use and free.

Another alternative for free is FileZilla. I don't like it ias much as SmartFTP, but again it's simple, easy and free.