Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HittingDear

• Please log in to reply

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have this old file that once was a mvp or something like that and it will not let me move it or delete it.
I get the attached error if I try to.

Any help is greatly appreciated on how to get rid of this off my desktop.

Attached Thumbnails

• hittingdearerror.jpg

Edited by Piratesmate, 29 November 2006 - 11:52 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
give unlocker a try

after the download go to file and right click and click on the wand

then on drop menu select delete then unlock

file should delete right then or on next reboot

if for some reason it does not delete rename that file

then use unlocker to delete renamed file

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thank you!

I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight and let you know if it worked.

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Wooohooo!
The unlocker got rid of it completely! Definitely a tool worth having.

I noticed on the sight that the guy recommends Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall protection. Do you advise buying it?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what kinda firewall protection do you have right now

yes unlocker is a tool worth having

ive used it to help clean computers here in my community

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had no problems with Zone Alarm free firewall in 3 or 4 years now on 10 different computers. I also use a hardware router to deter any unusual traffic directed to my IP address.

SRX660

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
The firewall I have currenlty is with the windows onecare. So I downloaded the free 30 day trial and if I like it I'll consider purchasing it for the $19.99 price.
The onecare program never detected any of the trojans/virus's I was stuck with so took I it off since it doesn't do anything for me like the AVG and ad-aware has done for me. (I even sent an email to Windows telling them and they have yet to respond to me)
Since I took the windows onecare off, now I have the warning on the taskbar that I don't have any spyware, etc. protection.
Doesn't AVG and ad-aware give me protection or do I need to keep the Windows Onecare on also?
I also have spybot search and destroy on my sytem too which has also detected stuff that AVG and ad-aware hasn't caught.

Also, what else will the unlocker be good for except for the problem I had with the file that wouldn't leave?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
on this computer i use windows firewall with norton antivirus corporate edition

the other computer is trend internet security with zone alarm

the third computer is not set-up yet but gonna probably install trend and havent decided what type of firewall

i fix computers so i make use of unlocker if you feel you have not much use for it you can uninstall it

but its out there and available to assist in deleting unwanted files

avg should offer protection even at start-up it should do a
quickscan...it should update automatically

lavasoft (adaware) ....if you purchased the full version it has firewall and a resident shield that provides continuous protection
but on the other hand if you download the free version then you have only the core of the the full paid version but you dont have the resident shield and updates are done manually

spybot is a good program as well ive downloaded it but i never had it to run at start up updates for me were manual ....i heard others had it running to provide continuous protection

i still have ewido which is now owned by avg-antispyware..its excellent program to have worth buying to have its automatic updates and resident shield protection

if you still feel you need antispyware protection heres one its 30 day trial

http://www.filehippo...download_ewido/

Edited by rushin1nd, 01 December 2006 - 12:48 PM.

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
With all the programs running on my home computer, will any of the programs work against the other?
I know having too many of something is not good so me being a fairly uneducated computer user, I want to make sure I have all the protection I need for my home computer.

Is there a complete listing of what a home use computer should have for all protection on their computer? (I did download the 'stuff' on this forum that is recommended to download and clean, etc.)

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
yes too much of a good thing can be bad

if you dont have the full version of lavasoft then that runs when you call for it

ofcourse your antivirus program should run continuously

the same with your firewall

windows automatic updates should be on at all times

spybot like i said i had run it manually so it was only used when it was called for

your java software if its set for updates will update as well

but only one antivirus enabled and only one firewall enabled

anymore than one then your gonna have conflict slow computer and infection creating havoc to your system because 2 firewalls or 2 antivirus programs running at the same time cant provide adaquate protection

sounds like you just need a good firewall and you have the programs to scan your computer
dont think you need more...just keep avg up to date and run a scan or schedule a scan

i have antivirus to scan 5:00 am every day....i got windows automatic updates set for every tuesday java updates is for 20th of every month...and i update other programs manually like ewido, lavasoft, photoshop and adobe reader 7.0...

Edited by rushin1nd, 01 December 2006 - 01:21 PM.

Advertisements

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall that I downloaded yesterday.
I have Windows set to automitac updates
I have the Ad-Aware
I have the AVG Anti-spyware
and I have Spy Bot to use when I feel the need for it.

Question: Since I took off the Windows OneCare, why am I getting the "warning" icon on the task bar telling me I don't have spyware, etc. protection? Is it not recognizing it? Or is it telling me to buy their software? And, how do I get rid of the "alert" of no spyware when I do have it with AVG Anti-spyware and Ad-Aware.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is it avg-antispyware or

avg antivirus

if you right click that warning icon are you given any options...like exit

right click anywhere on blue task bar>>properties>>customize then find that warning and on drop menu click on always hide

then apply then ok to close

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have the AVG Anti-spyware. I just realized that AVG has anti virus and anti spyware. I'll download the virus protection tonight.
I believe (I'm not at home) the message tells me I don't have any virus protection.

Edited by Piratesmate, 01 December 2006 - 05:13 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
once you download and install update avg antivirus that warning will disappear

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks!
I'll take care of it tonight!

So you don't think I need to download anything else then (after I downlod the AVG anti-virus)?