Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hdclone 3.1.12

• Please log in to reply

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
can anyone help me clone my old hd to the new hd? i installed hdclone but couldnt start it while restarting

Advertisements

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
bumppp

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you cloned the drive yet?

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
no... i burned the program to the cd and said to restart and it will start the program but it doesnt work

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for paragon Drive Copy, register it here first

http://kb.paragon.ag...product_id=1726

If the registration goes through, download it here

http://www7.spread-i...551c237aabe2ab1

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
which boxes do i check? i want the new hd to be just like the old one because im only gonna use 1 hd

THANKS

Posted Image

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I will ask SRX660 to look in on this as he has used the programme

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have looked at your settings picture. If you do not care about what size the partition is on the new drive(single large partition of the whole drive), have only the remove free blocks between partitions checked.

If you want the same sized partition as you had in the old drive you will leave the checkmark in the "copy data and resize partitions proportionally". This will also leave you with unpartitioned space so you will have to format the rest of the drive,as a new second partition, in the XP computer management/disk management window.

I did not perform a "surface test" or a "verify" since i was using a new drive that i had already Fdisked and Formatted in another computer.

SRX660

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
ok done copying it but i dont see it anymore as an additional hd and do i set it to master?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Disconnect the old HD from the data cable and the power cable. Then hook up the new HD on the end of the data cable and hook up the power cable. You can have the jumper set to "cable select" and your system should see this as the active "C" drive. If your old Hd was set to *master* set the new drive likewise. I would do nothing at all with the old drive until you know everything is running correctly. Leave it disconnected completely until later.

If you did things right you should boot into windows normally. The first time i used DC-8 and i changed the drives around , it booted into a prompt where it asked me if i wanted safe mode, safe mode with cdrom support, last known good configuration or normal boot into windows. I picked " normal boot into windows" and the computer booted OK. For a minute i thought something had gone wrong. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN. The computer booted into XP and has booted normally ever since. I have since installed some more software and MP3 files and the computer runs fine.

By leaving your old drive untouched, if something has gone wrong, you can switch back to the old drive and see if you can try this again. By using another cloning program and not redoing the fdisk and partitioning of the new drive the Drive Copy 8 *copy* may not have worked.

I have not used other cloning software except for norton ghost.

SRX660

Advertisements

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
its working but why does it only detect 55.8 out of 372? unallocated size is 316.73gb

Edited by realistpnoy, 02 December 2006 - 12:47 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
My question here is what was the size of your old drive? Was it a 60 gig HD? If so then you set it up so only the partition space equal to what was on the old drive is used. So it made the partition od 55 gigs.This may also be caused by the use of the HDclone software first. Perhaps it made the partition but did not move the OS over and when drive copy did move it over it saw the partition had already been made.
----------------------------
(NOTE) You will notice that any drive in windows never equals what the drive size is advertised. Most operating systems define a hard disk drive's capacity using binary or base-2 mathematics. This translates to 1 gigabyte (GB) equal to 1,073,741,824 bytes. This is the correct value when using binary or base-2 mathematics. However, hard disk drive manufacturers define drive sizes using base-10 mathematics, in which 1 GB is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes (rather than the 1,073,741,824 bytes, as listed above).

This discrepancy in reporting drive sizes (base-2 vs. base-10) may lead you to believe that you have a hard disk drive of less than expected capacity if you compare the figure reported by the operating system with the figure reported by your documentation, although the actual hard drive size is identical. Microsoft® Windows® simply counts the size differently, and will report a different, slightly smaller, figure.
------------------------------
On my first transfer i had it set the way i told you set yours and after the transfer the whole 149 gigs of the drive was showing as a single partition.

Now i don't particularily like large single partitions on large drives. What i usualy do with a new computer is partition a 20 gig space for windows and have a second partition for data. This way if i even need to reinstall XP on the "C" drive i can do a fresh install without worrying about losing any data, because all data is kept on the second larger partition.

Yoy have 2 ways to go here. You can partition your unalocated space as a second partition and keep all data on that partition, or you can use a program like partition Magic to recombine the unalocated space with the OS partition to make a single large partition. Its your choice.

A third choice is to reinstall the old "C" drive and use the XP disk management to clear all the partitions in the large drive and then reuse Paragon Drive Copy 8 to clone the OS back to the single large partition you made on the larger drive and switch drives again.

Here is another freebee for you if you care to use it.

http://www.vnunet.co...on-manager-2005

Read it carefully so you can get the registration numbers further down the page. This will let you partition the unallocated space back in with the OS partition.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 02 December 2006 - 03:49 PM.

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Here is another freebee for you if you care to use it.

http://www.vnunet.co...on-manager-2005

Read it carefully so you can get the registration numbers further down the page. This will let you partition the unallocated space back in with the OS partition.

i got the program and can ya give me the steps to recombine it with os?

Edited by realistpnoy, 03 December 2006 - 01:30 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have not had to use this software yet. I cannot find a manual for this particular software so i found the manual for Paragon's Partition Manager 8, which should use very similar methods.

http://www.paragon-s....com/manual.htm

PM8 has a "merge Partitions wizard", so i would look for one in PM2005. If not look in the help files to see if they have a method there.

SRX660

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
i tried to merge it to the same partition and i get this

Posted Image

Edited by realistpnoy, 03 December 2006 - 08:55 PM.