Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hdclone 3.1.12

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Permissions are defined within an object's security descriptor. Permissions are associated with, or assigned to, specific users and groups. For example, for the file Temp.dat, the Administrator group might be assigned Read, Write, and Delete permissions, while the Operator group might be assigned Read and Write permissions only.

How Security Descriptors and Access Control Lists Work

http://technet2.micr...3.mspx?mfr=true

Now i would say yes to that popup question. The worst thing that could happen is you would need to go in and change the access so that everyone could access the files. While that is a PITA to do it can be done. I do wonder if you had files on the larger drive that the program is talking about. Maybe it is talking about the files in the original XP install before you did the clone. This is uncharted territory for me now.

SRX660

Advertisements

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
ahh men...ill just start all over again but what do i uncheck and check so i can get the full hd space after cloning? and not 55gb but the 372 gb?

Posted Image

Edited by realistpnoy, 03 December 2006 - 09:53 PM.

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
bump

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I take it that the partition combine did not take.

Putting your old drive back in the computer as master and the 400 Gig drive as slave. Use the drive makers utility to make a single large partition on the drive of the 400 G drive. Then use Drive Copy 8 to copy over the OS with the same setting i told you from before. You don't even have to have "remove free blocks between partitions" checked but i did on my transfer. If everything on that particular page is unchecked then DC8 should copy the os and all files over to the large HD and leave you with one large partition. What you should have is the exact same file size for "used space" on both drives.

When i transferred my 6.2 gigs of data from a 20 gig HD to a 160 gig HD i had 6.2 gigs of data on both drives when i looked at them thru windows explore. I then swapped the drives out and made the 160 gig drive as the "C" drive. I have had no problems at all since i did the swap.

One thing that did happen is i was getting errors when starting up the computer about S.M.A.R.T. The reason i was getting the errors was that i added a Toshiba 40 gig Laptop drive with an adapter into the computer to the IDE cable as a slave drive. This toshiba drive has a problem and is dying i guess. When i took the toshiba drive out of the computer it is back to booting normally again.

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
i got it working now...i just used the disc wizard from seagate...thanks for helping me out

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
why am i gettin this error when i open microsoft word?

Posted Image

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
bump