Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting files from broken harddrive

• Please log in to reply

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Two days ago the hard drive in my docking station suddenly dissapeared. I was in the middle of changing a file name and the window dissapeared leaving the desktop without the drive icon. I switched the drive to the modular bay on the laptop and the system doesn't recognize the drive and all it does is click every few seconds.
What I need to do is get my programs and files on to a new harddrive. Do any of you brainiacs have words of wisdom for me? Thanks ...ed

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
most likely if the computer will not detect the drive at all your only recourse will be professional data recovery such as ontrack or some other place.... this is unfortunately VERY expensive..

You could try going into setup and see if the computer is seeing it at all. If so maybe data recovery software MAY help... personally I use GETDATABACK by runtime systems.... you can download it and have it check your drive for recoverable files before you buy it.... you could also try pcinspector.... heard good things about it but never used it... and as far as I know it is free...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sounds very much like the famous harddrive tick of death, the rest shad92 has explained

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I tried what shard92 sugested but no luck. I also checked out a couple data recovery places but way too expensive for me at this time.
Is it possible to put the disks into another hd case?

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

most likely if the computer will not detect the drive at all your only recourse will be professional data recovery such as ontrack or some other place.... this is unfortunately VERY expensive..

You could try going into setup and see if the computer is seeing it at all. If so maybe data recovery software MAY help... personally I use GETDATABACK by runtime systems.... you can download it and have it check your drive for recoverable files before you buy it.... you could also try pcinspector.... heard good things about it but never used it... and as far as I know it is free...

When I try to start my laptop with the hdd in either the docking station or the port on the laptop itself a message comes up that the computer cannot recognise the device and I can't go any further untill I escape, remove the drive and restart. I am going to get an external usb case and try to use one of the software programs to get the info from the drive. I'll post back with the results.

vraknari

vraknari

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hopefully it will work out for you.

I just got quoted $800 to retrieve honeymoon pics from a clicking laptop hard drive.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, it is a lesson perhaps learned too late, but next time you will know the tick of death for what it is no time to clone the drive, just try to grab the needed data quckly

if it still clicks, a few hours in the freezer or overnight may be enough to expand the faulty part no long enough to grab contents or clone it to a fresh drive using an extenal harddrive caddie