Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD Drive for Dell PC Does not Fit?

• Please log in to reply

burnsryan

burnsryan

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
hey guys

I recently recieved my super fast Dell PC with 2 Xeon processors....amazing!!!!!

I installed XP Home in 16 minutes!!!!!!!!

anyway...... thats not what I'm on about.

my dvd drive doesnt fit in the case properly and i'm wondering if i have to buy a DELL DVD drive to get round this.

i have used DELL pc 's before and never had this problem. maybe a new way to get more money out of us????

let me know your thoughts

thanks

ryan

Advertisements

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Burnsryan,

Nearly all CD/DVD drives are the same size approx 5.75" external width - it is an industry standard. Even though Dell use parts made specifically for their PC's i would not have thought that they would change a drive dimension. - the standard size is there due to the diameter of discs.

If it is the depth of the drive then it may be simply that the drive you have is quite long?? again though all parts are made to standard specifications so that they are interchangable - for the most part anyway!!

Maybe you could take some measurements or photos to explain the situation further??

MonkeyM

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Thats a new one on me as well. Perhaps Dell would provide an adapter kit? In the mean time I will just add this to my growing list of reasons not to buy Dell.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Quite often i find that installing cd and dvd drives in some computers can be a real task. I did find that Lite-on makes some of the shortest drives lengthwise, so if you new drive is sticking out of the case a 1/8 or 3/16th of an inch the lite-on drives will set flush to the case. Many cheap cases i have to drag out my rattail file to saw on the mounting holes in the cddrive brackets in the case to get some drives to sit flush with the case otherwise they would be recessed a bit in the case. The file came with a 5 file kit i bought from Home Depot and is perfect sized for the hole slots. The real pain ones are the mini ATX kits that have to back of the drives hitting on the motherboard edge like the older shuttle cases.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 06 December 2006 - 12:55 PM.