Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Home crashing (HELP!)

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi, I'm new here, my first post :help:

I have had my Fujitsu Seimens now for a year, just outside warrenty! but in the last two weeks i have been having major problems with XP freezing.

So the main issue is when i change the screen resolution, change the hidden files and folder options or when i run Windows Media Player 11. The program will either continue playing the video or the box will vansih, but everything freezes except the mouse, i can hit Ctrl Alt + Del and the task manager appears but i can not navigate my way around tp see what proccess is running. The processor fan then spins up to 3500 RPM. :whistling: :blink:

if i then push the power button once it quickly catches up with what i clicked then shuts dow normally. i restart and everything is fine again, but change anythign or use WMP in full screen and it freezes again.

So far i have tried 3 different virus scans (including AVG, Panda and mcafee) i have run Spybot, adaware and spydoctor, all to no avail. I have tried uninstalling my graphics drivers and run on the windows VGA drivers, but still freezes,m installed the lastest ATI drivers, no luck, i have checked my RAM for any faults, but thats all good and lastly i checked my Temperatures.

CPU idle: 55c
CPU Load: 68c
Chasis idle: 50c
Chasis Load: 55c
PSU idle: 55c
PSU load: 58c

All these temps are based on standard heatsinks and fans.

Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for your time advanced

Glen

Edited by glen_m_32, 30 November 2006 - 07:24 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

If those are actually in celsius, I would say they are way too high. See conversion chart at C- F Chart. By any chance did you check temps when PC was new for a comparison? Most temps seem to run in 30C to 40C range. Lot of factors involved as to what temps actually can be.

What are your PC specs? How many fans do you have installed? Have you tried taking the case off and see if heatsinks are clogged? Same with fans.

Can you shut down all your processes before it freezes and check temps with only XP running? Try Safe Mode.

Ron

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Thanks for your reply ron,

Yes the temperatures are in celsuis.

I have had the case open and going to hoover the heat sinks clean? i only have fans on the CPU and VPU, The CPU fan has a air duct going from a blow hole straight down onto the heat sink. I have no case fans, as it didn't come as standard

Do you think the heat would be the problem of my desktop crashing whenever i change settings or use a program using high graphics?

The specification form my computer is in my signature!

Thanks again for your help
untitled2.JPG untitled.JPG

Edited by glen_m_32, 02 December 2006 - 05:36 AM.