Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

printer won't reinstall

• Please log in to reply

technophobe

technophobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have just spent 2 weeks removing malware with the help of malware forum. not keen to start that again.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Any reason to think it is malware?

technophobe

technophobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I don't think the current problem is malware. I got the all clear on that in malware forum. The problem with the printer and volume installer both started half way through the clean up of a big malware problem. I assumed that a files have been corrupted or deleted to cause the problem.

technophobe

technophobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Should I just admit defeat, back up all my files and do a complete restore? I have software for everything on my pc. If I save all of my files to disc, is there anything else I need to do before taking it back to "out of box" state?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Memory errors can mess with installations, so run memtest.

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

If the memory is clear of errors, look at backing up the data you need because a clean install will be as quick as trying to pin it down now, as you have replaced most things

Boot and Nuke will add an hour per 25GB of drive size, though worth doing once you have secured the data you need

Also check you have the serial numbers for anything you have installed from a download, obviously the XP product key

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm