Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PLS. HELP ME! SYSTEM REFORMATING

• Please log in to reply

raffstyle

raffstyle

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello to all,

well im not a computer wizard guy. i join this site maybe you guys can help me with my problem.

My Laptop: HP ZV5000 Pentium IV 3.0 with HT,512MB,60GB, XP home,DVD/cdr,wireless.

i want to reformat my laptop i want to be like new(like the first time i Bought it in Circuit city) i dont have any important program or file on my computer. my problem is toooo much pop-up.i can see you my task manager (165 process/ 100% CPU everytime i open it. usually its only 50 something).
pls tell me how to do it. i had all the cd came with the box. what else do i need(where i can get it?) how difficult to do it?

PLS help me People... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Advertisements

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Why do you need to re-format? It's not always the best way.

Best thing to do is work out exactly what the problem is. If it is pop-ups then you need to install a pop-up blocker, some spyware remover would be a good idea, do you have an anti virus on there?

If your CPU is sayin 100% all the time something in the background could possibly eating it up, have you tried ctrl+alt+dlt (Task Manager)

With XP, there is a tab which says processes, if you click in there it tells you what percentage of the CPU is being used by which process. Find out what it is and then come back to me!

We'll try and sort it the easy way first!!

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
The easy way is not reformat and reinstall ? ;) It's the faster way by far. Raff doesn't have files he's attached to and wants the computer back to the state he got it in. (Fresh installation I assume) If he has all the driver CD's wipe-and-reinstall is probably best.

'Easy way' is user skill level dependent. Raff stated he isn't a wizz.

It would be a good idea to install all block,track and kill software immediately after system installation though.

For a wipe-and-install you'll need:
- your machine
- an OS installation disk (probably a CD or DVD)
- your driver-disks
- a pot of coffee ( and smokes if that's your vice )

For most serious OSses goes you follow the instructions you get from your installation CD.
But if you need more help or have questions, I'll try to help you.

Good luck :tazz:
Ojo

raffstyle

raffstyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanx for replying spike,

well heres whats happening evertime i open my laptop.
-Wireless turn off
BMAN-on start up.
some of my folder-on start up.
i open the task manager(ctrl-alt-del) PROCESSES:148-150 (too much .EXE programm)
CPU Usage:keep changing from 4%-100% /commit charge:411M/920M
POP-UP keep coming even im not connected online.

i got some ad-aware SE, norton anti virus(since i bought it),all-in-one SECRETMAKER(2days old),bazooka.

i already tried to run the adaware so many times and my norton. i did clear my history and cookies.even delete some from add/remove programm.........do you want me to give you the copy of the processes on the task manager ? so you can see whats wrong....

i really appriciate your help. pls reply. (im using my cousin old laptop which is better than my new PC. no pop up at all.)

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok.....first things first...

Your wireless supplier? Make and model etc... Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Do you need to know how to do this?

I have a belkin wireless and it can be a pain, I have a few remedies for it!

Your CPU shouldn't really be going from 4 - 100 all the time, so send me those processes.

Could you also do the following for me.....

START> RUN> type 'MSCONFIG'> go to the start up tab> let me know whats in there.

Also, try downloading spybot and running it and immunizing the system. As well run an anti-virus software on there, see if anything major comes up. If you don't have one try downloading AVG, as it's free for non-profit making people.

If you have any questions, or don't understand how to do anything just shout!

As for the easy way, I understand that the skills may not be there. Hence the reason we as a community are here. I believe the point of Geeks to go is not just to turn around and say format it. From previous forums I have read which the webmasters have been involved in they would prefer to work by the fix it ethic, rather than the format it ethic.

Things can be fixed without this happening. When a user goes through a process of fixing problems they become somewhat knowledgable and hence can either remedy the problem in the future or stop it from happening again.

I understand that 'the easy way' is skill level dependant, but how's about increasing that skill. If, as a community we said, format it to everything, people would not learn and move on from there, and there would be no answers to any questions on the web. Except format it of course!!!

raffstyle

raffstyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanx OJO!

so let say i want to do that wipe and install. meaning my computer will be the same like brand new?

heres the list of all the cd came with my machine.
-Operating System CD (microsoft Windows XP HomeSP1a
-Driver recovery CD (2CD's)
-Application recovery CD
-HP image zone plus Disc-2&3
-intervideo Windvd creator 2
-norton antivirus 2004
-microsoft works&money 2004
WHAT ELSE do i need?
how much time doing all this?
and pls tell me the STEP BY STEP of WIPE and INSTALL.
(which CD 1st-last) you can email me raffstyle@hotmail.com

THANK YOU very much!!
*coffee's okay i dont smoke HEHEHEHE.

raffstyle

raffstyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanx spike.. i know im willing to do that but i think my pc is pretty messed up. maybe in the future problem i will fix it like the way you were saying and not just reformating my system. i really appricaite all your help guys...

after everything sort out. any recommended proctection software? or spy&ad-ware cleaner. or any speacial tools. hehehehe

thanx again!

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Spike, Yes, true, you learn more about computers by fiddling a lot with them,
but does everybody want to learn all about computers? But if you only offer the 'long way there' people may get the impression that everything that has to do with computers is hard, call nephew Jack and let him fix it.

I'm not saying 'format is the way', I'm just saying 'there is an alternative to messing with your machine for a day'.

I guess I just got a bit allergic to long solutions from the people I work with. Who sometimes prefer the 18 hour solution of digging and sifting through a system to solve a problem that could have been fixed in an hour by simply reinstalling something.

My suggestion was mostly based on what Raff wanted. And fiddling doesn't restore the machine to a state close to what it was when he bought it. There will be several megabytes of bits and pieces scattered.
However, Raff, if you have problems with viruses, adware and spystuff, you may want to follow Spikes suggestion, so that you can still choose to go for the wipe-and-install option, but now with the knowledge what to do when malicious applications come for you.

The spy-ad and virus cleaner software is al mentioned in the front-page of this forum.
It's downloadable there too.

Spike,
I really need to follow that spy/ad/virus forum more.
I'd love to be able to read those hijack dumps.
( but since I'm basically a-technical, I'm too chickenshit to join :tazz: )

Raff, I'll drop you a mail via hotmail.

Thanks!
Ojo

raffstyle

raffstyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
you know what guys... i really like this site, not because you can get help. its the people who really concern about the problem of other. i really appricaite all the help.

thanx ojo and spike.

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
OK, well I'm not a full on tecchy, I work on past experience mostly and am in charge of the IT systems where I work, servers, xp, ID10T, blocking people trying to install msn, virus management et al... So not quite full geek status!

Yes I agree that a full format will sort out the machine and take it back to just purchased days. As I'm sure you are aware Windows have made installing etc easier and easier, but it's not all perfect. What happens when his screen resolution doesn't work for example, and he's stuck with a computer that can't read his graphic card etc etc etc ........trust me I've been there! (and just one of a list of reformat problems!)

Sometimes a format can be a taxing process, hopefully his machine is all xp compliant and everything should work, and I hope this is the case. But bit by bit the user will gain knowledge and be able to sort things out for themselves by going the long process.

What I was angling at was just to make sure nothing blantently obvious was there. Making sure no obvious viruses/spyware/anything else was eating up the CPU. If this was the case a simple solution could've been sorted. Let's find out whats up with it and fix it can be quicker and easier than a full format!

Don't be offended Ojo, I just don't think that saying format it is the point of these forums. Oh and just a quick response to....

'but does everybody want to learn all about computers?'

It's not a case of want!! Maybe people have to, rather than hiding behind a sofa pointing at it!!! Until technology becomes extremley easy to use (I'm talking so even your granny can use it!) people need to be aware of solutions. If you back everything up let them have a go. Whats the worst that could happen, oh yeah a re-format!!

But hey, raffstyle, let us know what happens, and i hope everything works out ok!

P.S Ojo, I've never spent 18 hours on fixing a pc problem. Somebody needs sacking there, or they are just holding out for overtime!

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Spike,

I'm not offended :) , and you're right about it maybe being something quite easy to fix.
Maybe format isn't the point of these forums. But part of making people computer-savvy is also choosing the right solution for the problem.
And a lot of people who post a problem here aren't looking for training.
I guess we both should have asked:
Do you want it fast or educational?
:)

About the 18 hours... I don't try to understand those people anymore. They run Linux on their PDA, upgrade things that work (and won't work afterwards) spit on anything microsoft, yet run the most windows-like GUI available for linux, never give solutions, just point at manuals, etcetera ad nauseam. ;)

Me personally, I'll never be a full freak. I use computers, I hate computers. When I get the impression something takes longer on a computer, I'll go the low-tek way. To me they are tools. And tools are there to use, not to tinker with.
( your powertools' guarantee will void if you open it and tinker with it )
All I've learned about computers I have learned by being around them for
24 years. I'm probably not even a geek ;) but I liked the forum and try to help where I can.
( I know, for a linux-hater I'm rather active in the linux-related posts, but I learned some things left and right while being forced to use this uenterOS for years )

So... I'm sorry if I interfered with the educational track. Maybe the forums goals should be a little clearer on the intention to make everybody computersavvy.

Raff, Spike has got a point.
Decide wisely, grasshopper. :tazz:

Ojo

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Oh I forgot. The 18 hours gurus also say the Gimp is just as good as photoshop. *shrug*
I guess someone licked LSD displays too much. :tazz:

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hey no worries Ojo, sometimes I wish i was there to just do it for them!!! Life would be much easier!

People who spend 18 hours fixing a computer, either a, didn't think it through (this is what systems analysis is for) or b, are trying to make something work which it wasn't made for.

h*** I worked at one company who installed a new system, but it kept falling down. I said wheres your analysis and possible alternatives... the reply... well the salesman said it would work!!! I don't work there anymore! I fixed it and left! Quickly, running out of the door going arrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Still hey Ojo, different angles are a good thing, at least raff can decide whats best for him eh?!

Take care both of you.

P.S Do you have the decision on whether to sack the 18-hour gurus or not. I say sack um! Freaks! System teccies and graphic designers are different kettles of fish, keep them that way!

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
But I can't fire them... ;)
Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it. Ah well...
Gives me 18 hours of StarCraft :tazz:
Fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

*hehehe*

Ojo