Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

December coming in with a bang

• Please log in to reply

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: :) Hello to all of you fellow Midwesterners! What's the deal here? For two weeks now, our temps have been in the mid to upper 60's. We've been getting spoiled, loving the unseasonably warm weather, that's for sure. Just yesterday (Wednesday) it was 71 degrees!! :help:

That all ends today, folks. I knew a bit of snow was coming. I get up this morning to take my kid to before-school cheerleading practice, and stop by weather.com when I returned. Holy snikeys!! :blink: Here's how my forecast reads:

Today
A mixture of light winter precipitation this morning will become a mixture of rain and freezing rain for the afternoon. Morning high of 39F with temps falling to below freezing. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph. 1 to 3 inches of snow and ice expected.

Tonight
A wintry mix. Thunder possible. Low around 30F. Winds NNE at 20 to 30 mph. Snow and ice accumulating an additional 1 to 3 inches.

Tomorrow
Snow during the morning followed by snow showers during the afternoon. Winds NW at 25 to 35 mph. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 additional inches. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph.

I live out in the country, folks. We get 3" total snow with winds like that, we're literally snowed in. All said and done, we're basically expecting about an inch of ice, and then anywhere from 5-10" of snow on top of that, with the nasty high winds.

Living out here, we are almost guaranteed to lose electricity (and heat!). My oldest daughter has a doctor appointment this morning. I'm stopping to get a can of kerosene for the portable heater, some extra milk and bottled water, and flashlight batteries. Batten down the hatches!! :rofl:

What are you expecting from this nasty storm where you live?? Everyone stay warm...and SAFE. :rofl:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If your not in chat tomorrow we will know why :whistling:

Were getting the exact opposite, It is something like 37C (100F) and very humid, it is a matter of time before a big storm hits. And and power goes out for hours.

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
*therock247uk will take the snow if you don't want it we get it like two times a year if we are luckly! :whistling:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
You can have it all, rocky!!! :whistling: I already promised Flekman some pics of all the snow. I will make sure to post a link here, too so you can all see

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
At least you have snow. I wouldn't ever want massive amounts of it but the last time it snowed here was in 1995. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It hardly ever snows in my part of Scotland and it never lasts, its to wet which just makes it even colder and there is to much wind for it to lie easily either. Also everything south of the ochals usually has its own micro climate which also makes it warm enough for snow to melt into rain and slush. We get all the cold and none of the fun.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that whole band of crap that's passing your way may/maynot make it's way to tenn. according to the weather satellite here at work (yeah...i've got my own connection to weather system...what of it?)...that band of weather is basically bisecting the country from south to north..and moving east...it's all blue and purple (snow, mixed snow/rain/sleet, and utter crappiness)...looks like it should be fun if it actually makes it here.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
as I told Justin in chat earlier, I have five acres of "yard" at my house, and a big old rambling farm house. I bought a huge canister of hot chocolate today, and we have plenty of room for sledding and snowman building. The only catch is..you have to help shovel, and pull my 11 yr old around on the sled! :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, we got 4 inches of snow the other day, you can ask atri. It takes about a foot to close our area down, country and city. Right now i bet ya its -30oC out, but i'm loving it! Bring out the skiies baby!

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
hmm... Still waiting on the snow? :whistling:

Im on the east coast and I hope I get hit by something out west!

Time to pull out the old snowboards this season!

kh1+2

kh1+2

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
i want some snow. so far in london all weve had is sunshine and clouds, no snow and not alot of rain, well at least we can get some tan................ in the middle of december? :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol thats what taning boths are for in the winter.....:whistling: for who ever does that.....i think they are cancer in a booth though.
Winter is a time for SNOW! :blink: Skiing!!!WOOT WOOT!!! THis is the best time of the year.....
*James_8970 runs off singing christmas songs

kh1+2

kh1+2

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
enjoy the snow james_8970 we dont get snow until march-february if lucky but we do have some good years where there is snow but i dont think this year

*kh1+2 also walks away breaking into the song "Summertime"by DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince

:whistling: