Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot problem!

• Please log in to reply

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
let me tell you how the problem occured because it might help. my nephew started up the computer and then decided he wants to go out so he held down the power button while it was booting up. now, it gives me a screen saying windows was shut down incorrectly and allows me to choose from starting windows normally, from last good configuration, in safe mode and safe mode with networking. no matter what i go to it starts to load windows then after a while a blue screen with white text appears then the whole thing resets itself. the blue screen never stays long enough for me to be able to read it. please help me. i got a years work on this laptop.

Thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Zaine7673...

Do you have the XP installation cd for your machine?

What is the make and model number?

wannabe1

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I didnt get a XP cd with the Laptop. I borrowed one from a friend which i have right now...

what model number would you like? the laptop or XP cd?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The make and model number of the machine... :whistling:

The borrowed cd should work for now. Boot with the cd in the drive...when prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD", press the spacebar once.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press "Enter".
  • At the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and press "Enter". (note the spaces in the command)
You may receive a message that the volume is busy and asked of you want to schedule this to run on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". Reboot

This is a very long process...be patient. If the machine still will not boot correctly once this has run, let me know and we'll move on the the next procedure.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
The only things i could gather were:
Product: Presario V5000
s/n: CND6161SD5
p/n: EW835EA#ABU

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I've done as you advised and i'm getting
"the parameter is not valid.try /? for help"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if / when you do get it booted...

One of the things that is quite different about Windows XP compared to Windows 9x (9x is shorthand for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me in all their various versions), is that one can control how it responds to certain critical errors—those that cause the infamous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. If that fatal error only occurs when you're shutting down, the system reboots automatically.

If you haven't changed any of the system failure settings, you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. But a better long-term solution is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error when it happens—chances are it will tell you enough about itself to let you troubleshoot further. To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to figure out what's causing the problem.....

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

if / when you do get it booted...

One of the things that is quite different about Windows XP compared to Windows 9x (9x is shorthand for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me in all their various versions), is that one can control how it responds to certain critical errors—those that cause the infamous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. If that fatal error only occurs when you're shutting down, the system reboots automatically.

If you haven't changed any of the system failure settings, you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. But a better long-term solution is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error when it happens—chances are it will tell you enough about itself to let you troubleshoot further. To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to figure out what's causing the problem.....

I wish i could do that mate but i cant even get into my xp.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
hey wannabe 1, i did as u advised but it still shows me the same thing after i reboot.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
If you can't boot but can get into the boot list options then select "do not reboot if system error" (or something like that) and then select your OS.

If you can boot and you've got the i386 folder in your drive (C:\WINDOWS\i386) then you're in luck. Go Start>run>%windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons that will install the recovery console on your machine and make it able for you to access it without having an XP CD, if you do not have the i386 folder then go Start>run>E:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons that will install the recovery console from the CD to your hard drive.

*EDIT* removed link *EDIT*

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 30 November 2006 - 10:05 AM.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
GUYS THANKS FOR EVERYTHING. i'VE FIGURED IT OUT AND IT WORKED. i USED WANNABE 1'S SOLUTION BUT WROTE CHKDSK /P C:

THANK YOU ALL

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to avoid the booting loop do as I advised in post # 8

Edited by happyrck, 05 December 2006 - 09:15 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I got called away from the computer and, as usual, it happened at a bad time.

I'm glad you got it sorted out. :whistling:

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Its all cool. Now i got a problem with my DDR Ram i think. one problem after another. Memory faults could result in the screen or pc itself freezing right?