Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot problem!

• Please log in to reply

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Its all cool. Now i got a problem with my DDR Ram i think. one problem after another. Memory faults could result in the screen or pc itself freezing right?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, memory problems can cause those problems and more.

Have a look at the information HERE, then download and use the tool. Let us know what you find.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Im running memtest86 at the moment. when thats done I'll let you guys know so you can ccome to the rescue once again. lol

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
What i did on my RAM sticks when they quit working was to take them out and polish them or use an eraser for the gold contacts, that worked out great.

-OCM770-

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I've run memtest for 2hrs and 20mins now and it doesn't seem to report any errors. but now i'm left to think: what else could be the cause of my desktop just freezing every once in a while. its not freezing when i run too many things or use up alot of system resources. it just happens randomly. if anyone can help me find the problem i would appreciate it very much.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...heat can cause what you describe.

Download and run SpeedFan 4.31 on the machine to monitor temperatures and voltages. The download link is in the paragraph under "Download".

Let us know what you see for high temperatures.

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hey wannabe 1 whats good? My temperature readings are

Temperatures
Motherboard 41 °C (106 °F)
CPU 32 °C (90 °F)
MDT MD800BB-00JKA0 34 °C (93 °F)
Maxtor 6E040L0 32 °C (90 °F)

By the way i used everest home edition for this.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those temps are good ...what are the voltages reporting...the easiest way to do this is use whatever screen capture program you like and attach a picture of the sensor readings...it will include everything we need...

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hope it helps...

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F, National LM90 (ISA 290h, SMBus 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte 7VA Series

Temperatures
Motherboard 42 °C (108 °F)
CPU 32 °C (90 °F)
MDT MD800BB-00JKA0 36 °C (97 °F)
Maxtor 6E040L0 32 °C (90 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 4561 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.54 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 4.92 V
+12 V 12.67 V
+5 V Standby 5.11 V
DIMM VTT 1.33 V
Debug Info F 25 FF FF
Debug Info T 42 201 201
Debug Info V 60 53 CC B7 C6 95 7E (77)

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
dont know if it would help but everytime i turn the pc on, it makes one short beep sound.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
one beep is normal...the voltage's look fine too....have you run any malware scans...or added any hardware or software recently...we may have to cleanup your startup in msconfig...

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Well this problem has been there through 2 seperate installations of XP. I have Spybot and Nod32 installed on it right now. I havent scanned for viruses or anything as i have just reinstalled the os a few days ago and everything else seems fine apart from this one problem. the last hardware i installed before the problem started occuring is a stick of DDR Ram. I've tried each stick of memory and it still freezes no matter which stick i have in.

could it be the graphics?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it freeze when running in Safe Mode?

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
havent tried. il try that next. :}

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did the problem start right after you put in the new ram or shortly thereafter..if so try running without it ...still no joy...then

1. Before going any further, update the following:
Video card drivers: www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com
Motherboard chipset drivers: go to your motherboard maker's website

Also take a look at how outdated your bios is, and consider an update. If there have been 3 or 4 revisions since the one you have currently installed, it is probably best to update.

2. Check your "Event Log"
the main cause of system crashes is outdated/corrupt drivers installed. It can be tricky to find which driver it is that is causing the crashes. If you are able to boot your computer up, right click on "my computer", "manage", "event viewer". Here you will find 3 categories and a list of each. Your system reports any errors it encounters here. You want to search in all three categories and look for any details with a red symbol by them. Yellow are also significant, but red ones are the ones to research first.

To research them, the best way is to look inside the details provided. There is a link in there that tells you to "click for more details". Do it. It'll take you to the Microsoft site with some possible causes and solutions.

If the crashes seem related to a particular piece of hardware in your system, that is your hint. Update the drivers for that hardware and see if that fixes you up. For example, if you are getting constant error reports for your internet connection, try updating your NIC (network interface card) drivers.

Edited by happyrck, 01 December 2006 - 10:41 AM.