Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp cd

• Please log in to reply

banjomaniac

banjomaniac

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed XP pro on my laptop but I keep getting The CD Key which you entered is invalid. Please try again message. I wonder if the key is correct or if there is a way to check the cd for the key. I have about 5 different xp cd's including 2 that are at my kids colleges and I might have the cd's mixed up. I stick the coa stickers on the case the cd is in so now I'm thinking I might have the wrong key or the cd could be damaged.

banjomaniac

Advertisements

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
try this

http://www.michaelst...m/ViewKeyXP.htm

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
try this

http://www.michaelst...m/ViewKeyXP.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I wonder if the key is correct or if there is a way to check the cd for the key

the cd key isn't stored on the cd itself...there is a specific algorithm used to check the key you enter against the entire range of possible cd keys for that version of windows

the cd key you enter should always be the key from the COA affixed to the pc itself

most of the time when you get a failure on the cd key, it's either a key for the wrong type of windows (i.e. xp home key for xp pro install...or oem versus retail or upgrade) or a damaged disk....if you are SURE you're entering a valid CD key for that version of windows...then the disk is possibly damaged...you should be able to call microsoft to get the issue resolved if it's not a matter of damage

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Common pitfalls when entering Windows Product Keys (because the stickers are too small and the font not distinctive enough on the blue rectangle OEM licences):

The letter B is often mistaken for the number 8 and vice-versa.
The letter S is often mistaken for the number 5 and vice-versa.
The letter O is often mistaken for the number zero and vice-versa.

Edited by Neil Jones, 30 November 2006 - 04:35 PM.