Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows ME that I need to back up.

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I am starting to get signs that our old computer hard drive with the Windows ME is fixing to "expire".

I would like to back up the entire software (plus all my files).

In the good ole days, you just went to a "button" that said back up. But the old computer (and my new one with Windows XP for that matter) don't have that.

To make matters worse, my HP Pavillion XT853 has a rewrite cd drive (M) but I can't get the machine to recognize that I put a disk in there.

But first things first, how do I back stuff up these days???

Thanks folks!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well you could try this program.

http://www.backupans.../freewinbackup/

Caveat Emptor here as i have my own backup methods.

I personally keep a few hard drives around so i can backup everything i think is necessary. I just hook the spare drive up as a slave and transfer any files i want to save. I usually will copy and paste whole folders between the drives. I'll then disconnect the spare drive and store itin a cabinet in the desk until needed. Any important programs and files i always backup to cd's or dvd's at the same time. I still have and use lots of programs you just cant find anymore like Cool Edit 2000, the older Filemaker Pro program, and others that work very well even nowadays.

CD burners are cheap at $20 and DVD burners are not that much more expensive at $29 so i think it would be of interest to buy one so you could backup anything you want to save.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106997

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827152076

Recently i was paid $200 to spend a day to get data off a drive that supposedly had lost its partition information. What i found was a disgruntled EX-employee has passworded the drive in question. I have methods of getting by passworded files so it took me 6 hours to get everything he wanted( don't ask for my methods, please). I should have charged more but that was the price i gave him for a simple "retrieve data" on the drive. I let it slide because it may lead to other things, now that i am a proven miracle worker, with this business person.

SRX660

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The guy who gave you the disk for password cracking could have been anyone, SRX660. His story could have been made up to make him sound genuine. Just hope you haven't been duped into becoming an accessory to data-theft.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Pip22, i took in consideration that it could possibly happen. So i took the precaution of asking him for a business card. The next day i showed up at the business and was acting suspcious enough that the owner came up front to see what the problem was. I was glad to see it was the owner who asked me to crack the drive, and they even showed me the computer the drive came out of. He was also glad that i took the time to verify who he was.

SRX660