Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SVCHOST

• Please log in to reply

alanwearing

alanwearing

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi

Can anyone help.
I have SVCHOST running 6 times on task manager.I have every type of spyware you could imagine but none of them detect a problem.Can this be normal.

Thanks

Alan Wearing

Advertisements

ste0102

ste0102

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
hi myne is also like that and i think it is spyware i dont even no what to do

Eclypse

Eclypse

• Pip
  • 9 posts

hi myne is also like that and i think it is spyware i dont even no what to do

View Post

You can have several instances of svchost running...thats normal.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Yeah-mine has the same thing. Its not spyware....I don't think.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Typically, you will see at least four instances. Depending on what you have running, you can have several more.

Some particularly nasty malware apps do use the svchost to hide...the transponders (vx2 better internet for example).

But then legitimate programs will too, firewall, intrustion detection, print monitors, etc.

It takes a bit of sleuthing. A good program to use is ProcessExplorer from SysInternals (google it). This will show the svchost process and allow you to view it's dependencies (what it's using and what is using it).

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
SVCHOST is for many different services of winxp. i.e. windows time, dhcp, dns client. Quite a few services. This is nothing to worry about. You can go to your services from administrative tools and disable any services you dont need to increase system performance. ***WARNING**** know what you are disabling and its dependencies before you disable them.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
SVCHOST is a friendly program. There can be many running at one time especially if you are on a network.

BUT SVCHOST can be,,, not in your case but can be spyware. NetSpy007 program runs itself as SVCHOST. This way it is semi-hidden in your task manager. :tazz: but you don't need to worry about that. Yours are all good if you only have around 6.